Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GySgtLynn

Reaction score
I started brewing a couple months ago. So far I have brewed 45 gallons of other peoples receipies. I finally decided to make my own. I brewed it up last night. So here it is. Let me know if any one has any suggestions, or just what you think.

Gunnys Oatmeal Stout

6.6 lbs dark malt extract
1 ¼ lbs flaked oats
1 lb carmel malt 80L
½ lb roasted barley
½ lb black patent malt
2 oz fuggles (boil 60 min)
1 oz ek goldings 5 min
Irish ale yeast. White Labs
Og 1.064
Fg Estimated 1.016
Srm 39
Ibu 23
Abv 6.4

I steeped my specialty grains at 170 for 15 min

I pitched my yeast at 70 degrees

Sounds good. I've made oatmeal stouts by roasting the flaked oats in the oven at 350 for about 20 minutes, turning once. Then let the oats mellow for about a week or 2 in a loosely sealed bag at room temp, then go ahead and use. Just a thought for your next oatmeal stout.

1/2 lb of black patent seems like a lot. If you add the chocolate and keep the roasted barley, you'd probably be fine without the black patent, or maybe just decrease the amount...

also what kind of chocolate to use? I'd like to use this recipe, but I have only done kits. Sorry for the questions. Thanks for any help!

1/2 lb of black patent seems like a lot. If you add the chocolate and keep the roasted barley, you'd probably be fine without the black patent, or maybe just decrease the amount...

It all depends on your taste. Personally I like equal quantities of chocolate, roasted and black. The taste may take a little longer to smooth out, but for me it is worth it. I am making an imperial stout today with 1.5 pounds of each. Of course I won't be drinking it until after Christmas at the earliest.

also what kind of chocolate to use? I'd like to use this recipe, but I have only done kits. Sorry for the questions. Thanks for any help!

Just regular chocolate malt from the homebrew store.

It all depends on your taste. Personally I like equal quantities of chocolate, roasted and black. The taste may take a little longer to smooth out, but for me it is worth it. I am making an imperial stout today with 1.5 pounds of each. Of course I won't be drinking it until after Christmas at the earliest.

Fair enough! That's far more than I've seen in most recipes though.

Back