Help me spruce up this recipe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
I have just enough ingredients around to brew Jamil's Blonde Ale and I'm looking for ways to spruce it up a bit (eg. add fruit, citrus, something weird).

What kind of experimentation have folks done with Blonde Ales and how did they turn out??

I know it isn't the season for blonde ales but it's always nice to have something light around for the "non real beer drinkers":D

I did a blonde ale, not Jamil's recipe, but I added apricot to it. Use 1 and half bottles of teh apricot extract. They are 4oz bottles and it says to use 6-7 oz for a 5 gal batch. Came out fantastic! Wife loves it and its been one of my few repeat brews!

Blue spruce tips would "spruce" it up a bit.

\Being smartass, but it might just be good. Just don't add much on a light beer like that.

Does anyone think that a Cherry Blonde would be good?

Fruit goes very well with a lot of light flavored beers. I would guess that cherry would go very well with it. I dont remember Jamil's recipe, but i have to imagine it would pair well

Cherry in a light beer reminds me too much of cough medicine, especially if you use a flavor extract.

I could see that being the case actually:cross:

More suggestions on tasty things to add to a blonde ale??

Cherry in a light beer reminds me too much of cough medicine, especially if you use a flavor extract.

That's what I was thinking. Cherry really sounds good, but in a light beer (not a porter, for example), it's terrible.

I like blonde ales just plain- they are a nice drinking beer. I wouldn't do anything to it, and just follow Jamil's recipe. Sometimes adding fruit or other flavors to a decent beer just makes it weird tasting.

Don't know what the recipe is but Maybe just an extra late Hop addition would give it the little extra kick your looking for. Use something like Simcoe or Amarillo, possibly even Sorachi Ace if you can get your hands on some.

Back