fruit stuck in krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunsen

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've recently started making cider and after having my first batch turn our much better than expected I have been experimenting with adding different things.

My wife loves those rekorderlig ciders and so I decided to try making a strawberry and apple cider late yesterday afternoon.

This morning I wake up and find that sometime during the night the fermentation really kicked off. The only problem is that the mashed fruit is stuck in the krausen.

There is probably plenty of flavour from the juice in there as I gave it a thorough mashing and straining before sealing, but I was wondering if it will inpact the fermentation at all having the strawberry "mash" sitting up in the krausen instead of in the main liquid?

For reference, here is a comparison between the two halves of the batch. I initially underestimated how much room the strawberries would take up so my single 4L batch had leftover liquid and I just topped that up in a second 5L demijohn with more juice.

One other question. When doing a small batch of 5L, how do you take gravity readings? I have a wine theif, but with such a small batch I dont want to be losing too much of my brew if I end up doing a bunch of readings over time.

Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated.

MRkoven

8w9AOOj

I'm on my phone and the imgur links don't appear to be working, so here they are uploaded through the forum.

20150503_083059.jpg

20150503_083108.jpg

Back