Need some help with new mashtun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpalme

Reaction score
K I picked up a 10 gal home depot cooler, removed the plastic valve and put my screened false bottom in. My new valve isn't long enough to have the handle sideways when in the off position is there a stud or something that I can use to extend that mount ?

If I understand your dilemma correctly, I'm assuming you're using a nipple to go through the cooler wall connected to a ball valve on the outside. And you are saying that your ball valve won't close all the way because the handle gets obstructed by the cooler. Assuming this is the case, you should just go buy a longer nipple and a couple of flat washers to use as spacers if necessary. This will allow you to extend the ball valve further away from the cooler body.

Do you even have a nipple? Did you just connect your screen to your valve?

There are longer pieces that you can use between your screen and your valve, as JJL stated.

You'll need a bulkhead or nipple to extend and probably some fender washers. bargainfittings.com or brewhardware.com should have some stuff.

I got everything for my 10G MT build from Home Depot. A 1.5"x.5" nipple to go through the wall, a fender washer that fits over the nipple and two .5" conduit lock-nuts. The nipple goes through the rubber gasket that the spigot sat in, through the wall of the MT with the washer on the inside of the MT. One lock-nut inside the washer, between it and your screen. The other on the outside of the MT between the wall and the valve.

Ok I'm going to sound like a complete idiot now but I'm not sure what your talking about with the nipple.

Which section of the store was it in?

Ok I'm going to sound like a complete idiot now but I'm not sure what your talking about with the nipple.

Which section of the store was it in?

It's in the plumbing section. http://www.lowes.com/pd_34962-104-A...&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=brass+nipple&facetInfo=

It goes through the hole to allow you to attach the ball valve on one side and your manifold/braid to a barb/coupler on the inside.

There's also a bulkhead kit: http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=47&product_id=185

Ok I picked up a nipple and I'm guessing that I need to remove the one in the screen and replace it with the new nipple correct?

Back