Bulk Aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hahaha- that's a question that will have to be answered as "it depends"!

It depends on so many things- first, remember that wine ages faster at room temperature. That is why for long term storage, cellar temps are always recommended. Second, the purpose of the bulk aging is important. Is it for simple aging before bottling? Or is for clarity? Or for cold stabilization? Sometimes you can kill two birds with one stone- cold stabilize the wine for clarity, and the excess tartaric acid will precipitate out as well as having the cold conditioning "smooth" out any harsh flavors.

In general, once fermentation is done cooler temperatures will allow the wine to age slowly and evenly as well as achieve clarity. But sometimes you want even colder temperatures if the wine has excess acid that will precipitate out during cold stabilization as "wine crystals". Aging the wine a bit at room temperature before bottling ages the wine a bit faster to make it ready to drink faster, and in some cases that is desirable.

Most wines can benefit from some time in cooler conditions while bulk aging. You can't really go wrong by having it at cellar temps, no matter what.

Thanks! I want to move my carboys to he basement, which is at a temp under 60 degrees. I plan to age my wines in the carboy for about 30-60 days. Thoughts?

Should I add anything to my wine in the carboy while bulk aging for 30-60 days?

Should I add anything to my wine in the carboy while bulk aging for 30-60 days?

for 30-60 days? No. That's an extraordinarily short time for "aging".

Usually you go that long between rackings, and rack if there are lees after 60 days.

Just make sure it's topped up and done fermenting and if it's not throwing any more lees after 60 days, you can store it wherever it seems appropriate until you bottle it.

Back