S.G. on a Digital Refractometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mybrewshop

Reaction score
I have found a relatively cheap digital refractometer that was originally designed to measure the salinity of sea water however it also displays specific gravity. There is no Brix option. I’m wondering if this will be able to measure the S.G. of a post fermented beer without the use if the original S.G. reading, (as is required with refractometers that use the Brix scale, or the MoreBeer calculator). Has anyone used a digital refractometer that displays S.G. with any success on a post fermented beer? Here is the link for the refractometer. http://www.technodepot.com/product/...ctometer-for-sea-water-density-with-atc#MA887

Cheers.

Just a guess, but I am betting it just takes the refraction measurement and does a simple conversion to give you an SG number, so it would be subject to the same errors on a post-fermented beer that a regular refractometer has.

+1, I'm guessing the same, but I'm interested to find out what you learn. I've ordered a Hanna digital refractometer, but it's been on back-order.

i'm wondering if it even has the proper range. I think salt water aquariums highest gravity is along the lines of our lowest final gravity for a beer.
it might not be able to register the high end OG.

i'm wondering if it even has the proper range. I think salt water aquariums highest gravity is along the lines of our lowest final gravity for a beer.
it might not be able to register the high end OG.

It says the max is 1.114, should be good for most beers

You almost defiantly will need to perform the correction, all refractometers need correction regardless of scale.
If you go this route you will probably be best served to create your own correction spreadsheet taking into consideration the unit change.

Back