Green Flash Hop Head Red: bad batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skadalajara

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Arizona, the northernmost state in Mexico.
My GF's favorite beer is Hop Head Red. I love it as well. Well balanced. Good hop flavors and aroma.
So, she's at te local beergasm store and picks up a 6pk. She gets home and cracks one. She then txts me that it's nasty.
Couple nights later, I'm over and she serves me one to see if I agree. It's way off.
100% bittering hops. 0 malt flavor. 0 hop flavor or aroma. It tastes like a hop tea.

Anyone else had this experience lately, or did she just get a bad 6pk?

sometimes beer stores don't handle their beer right and it gets exposed to extreme tempurature or sunlight. sunlight could definitely do damage to a hoppy beer.

I could see that if it tasted skunky. There was absolutely no skunkiness to it at all.

She did say it looked like it had been on the shelf a while, as it had a decent layer of dust on it. I can't see it having been there that long, as she buys it fairly often from that store.

It literally tasted like I had put an Amarillo pellet in my mouth and chased it with 12 oz of tap water. (Not that I'm complaining. I mean, I've done that more than once. :mug: )
It's just weird.

Back