Off flavors from high temp conditioning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnydrama

Reaction score
Hi all,

I know that off flavors can come from higher temp conditions during fermentation. However, once fermentation is complete and the beer is conditioning in the bottles, can these off flavors still come up. I have some blond ales that I've been storing in my room, where it is often in the high 70's. After conditioning, I've been getting off flavors that have been getting worse at they age. I was wondering if the higher than optimal temps could be causing this.

I would think this to be true, but don't know much on the topic. My first Foreign Extra Stout got a 43/50 from a BJCP judge after 4 weeks bottled, 60's in my room. A few bottles have been sitting in here for months and I tried one last night and it wasn't very good. Kind of bready tasting. It ranges from 76-84 in my room since outside temps got warmer (even if its 60's at night my room is high 70's). The rest of the house isn't nearly as hot. I guess I'll keep them in the cellar. Sucks because I have to go outside and unlock it each time.

Storing your bottles in the high 70's would probably be quite a bit down the list on suspected reasons your beer is getting off flavors. It's definitely possible, but I'd think it was about a few other things before that. Like: Poor Sanitization, Poor Fermentation, Oxydation, and Autolysis.

Also, I was asking a similar question to Jamil a few days ago about finishing the conditioning of my beer in my primary in the low 70's -- he said he thought that process would be ok. The difference between low 70's and high 70's shouldn't be that much to cause detectable and growing off flavors.

Most of the off flavors produced by yeast are created during the reproductive and growth phases when yeast is making compounds other than alcohol and carbon dioxide. During these phases, high temperature can make a big difference. Since there is no real clean cut off point between these phases, it's a good idea to keep your temperature under control until the sedimentation phase. Finishing in the bottle or secondary does not require the small window of temperature that fermentation does, but you still want to avoid extremes.

Since very little fermentation/yeast activitiy happens during the initial stage of carbonation, it is highly unlikely that unless you were storing your bottles in the 90's that any off flavors could develop in the bottle due to high temps..if it's within the normal-ish range of the yeasts (the 70's) you should be fine.

If you are getting late onset off flavors (meaning they taste fine after being carbed and conditioned, but go downhill) than more than likely you have an infection issue.....A late onset bottle infection...

You need to examine your sanitization procedures, both brewing AND during bottling. It's no big deal, I've been there...I had a late onset gusher infection myself (on a contest entry no less)

You just need to try to locate the source of the infection. Some people have lately discussed the spigot in the bottling bucket as a possible source...nasties can lodge in there over time.

I would remove it from the bucket and examine it carefully, maybe hold it up to a light....I would then fill a bowl with hot water and oxyclean and let it sit in their for a few hours...also examine by feel you bottling bucket for any scratches.... also look at your bottling wand, and auto siphon. Check all your fermenters for scratches as well....

I would replace every hose that comes in contact with my beer.....then I would consider replacing all those other plastic things, like auto siphon, wand, maybe even the spigot.... barring that I would do a scorched earth sanitization using the bleach/water/vinegar recipe that Charles Talley, the creator of starsan recommends...JUST BE SURE TO FOLLOW HIS RECIPE IN EXACTLY THE ORDER HE DISCUSSES OTHERWISE IT COULD BE DEADLY

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-29-07.mp3

and soak all your gear in it...first all your bottling gear, then all your fermentation gear...

After that I would temporarily switch sanitizers...if you are using starsan, switch to iodophor, or vice versa (if you don't use either, I can't stress enough choosing to use one, the other or alternating between both) in case you have a house bug.....

Again it's no big deal...but you need to nip it in the bud...

ALso read this old post of more on infections;

I alternate sanitizers now, since my own infection issue last summer. I don't use the same sanitizer thorought the entire batch...if I use starsan on brewday I use iodophor at bottling, and vice versa...

Even Chris Colby as an aside in a BB podcast mentioned switching sanitizers, a "house" bug can mutate to become accustomed (like with pennicilin) to your sanitiziation regimen. So switching, at least temporarily will knock it for a loop.

Honestly, it ain't a big deal, it happens to us on occasion.....On Craftbrewer radio they said it usually happens around the 10th, the 30th and the 50th batch...even the pro's deal with it (the Brewer at New Glarus said in an interview on Basic Brewing once, that a commercial brewery operation gets a 3 year grace period before their first infection)

It's called a house germ...and it develops over time...
The hosts of the podcast in Australia have 60 years of brewing experience...This is a very good discussion on infection and infection control.

They talk about the "timeframe" of infections, and how it is less likely for a first batch to be infected...it tends to occur around the 10th batch and the 50th...When the equipment gets more used up, and "house germs" start to build up. They used the term "house mouth" in the discussion, how we may not even notice, because we're sort of used to the taste of our beers, it's usually NOT a regular drinker of our beers that notices it.

December#2,2006

“What is sour mashing?” I hear you ask. So said our brewmaster as he guides you thru this most interesting of ways of making a beer. In a nice compact show, we also cover feedback, Kit and Kilo infections, our beer superhero turns “gay”, and a faviourite beer song is requested yet again. Not enough, well also hear about WHO stuffed up his brew day.

http://radio.craftbrewer.org/shows/December2-06.mp3

It's a pretty good discussion.

Hope this helps :mug:

The bottle didn't gush, but when I poured it like I always do, about half the glass was head, so late infection could be it, at least with that bottle. I'll try another tonight or tomorrow and see if it's the same. I haven't tried one for about a month but I never encountered any difference in taste and head except for this last bottle I tasted. We'll see. I do need to get my sanitation better. I only use One Step (I know, I know, not just a cleaner), but I'm getting some StarSan asap. I know a StarSan batch can be used for a long time, but what about Iodophor?

The bottle didn't gush, but when I poured it like I always do, about half the glass was head, so late infection could be it, at least with that bottle. I'll try another tonight or tomorrow and see if it's the same. I haven't tried one for about a month but I never encountered any difference in taste and head except for this last bottle I tasted. We'll see. I do need to get my sanitation better. I only use One Step (I know, I know, not just a cleaner), but I'm getting some StarSan asap. I know a StarSan batch can be used for a long time, but what about Iodophor?

Foaming up is really the same as a gusher, except that it happens in the glass and not the bottle....so yeah it might be an infection..but it might be limited to a bottle (if it was completely cleaned before sanitizing) or only a few bottles....

I would get rid of your onestep and decide which REAL sanitizer you weant to choose, Starsan and Iodophor are the best, and they both can be reused (if stored properly)

There's plenty of tips and the links to podcasts on iodophor and starsan, and tips about use, storage, and re-use here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/sanitizer-question-54932/?highlight=sanitizer+question

Thanks, glad to know both can be reused. I'll check that thread out. I think I'm going to get a container for both and switch up using them. I've been putting off getting a bottle because of the initial price, but I know it's worth it and cheaper in the long run. What I meant to say was I know One Step isn't great, and that it's just a cleaner. I'd rather it be a delayed infection than not being able to store my bottles in my room.

Edit: Cracked another one tonight during my brew, tasted fine. Must have been that one bottle that was bad.

Back