APA with Nelson Sauvin and Citra Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slogger

Reaction score
I have a AHS Nelson Sauvin pale ale kit on the way and I'm thinking off adding some Citra Hops at the end of the boil.
Anybody ever try this? I would think these two hops would compliment each other. What do you say?

I bet that would be good. I've never tried a beer with Nelson Sauvin hops before, that i know of, but they sound like they have hints of fruits, etc.

My guess is it might work out nicely.

I made a very simple pale ale and I loaded it with Citra at the end of the boil to try and get a better understanding of this hop. It turned out great. Love the IPA-style hop aroma and flavour in a clean, crisp pale ale. The smell and taste of Citra is just fantastic IMO.

I have an IPA i'm getting ready to keg

hop burst with 1oz each Simcoe, Citra, Nelson at 20min and after flameout

will be dry hopping in keg with 1oz each as well - I think it's gonna be an awesome combo

I searched the forums first but couldnt find a good explanation for "hop bursting"

Would you explain please

Sounds great. I recently scored a fair amount of nelson hops and have a Drifter APA clone fermenting right now that is based on nelson and summit. I am looking forward to using nelson in some other brews. I think nelson and citra will work good together.

I searched the forums first but couldnt find a good explanation for "hop bursting"

Would you explain please

In a nutshell, it's reserving most of your hops until the last 15 minutes of the boil to increase the flavor and aroma contributions to the finished beer. For damn near all of my pale ales, I bitter with Magnum at 60 minutes and then use 2 or 3 ounces of additional hops in the last 15 minutes. The result is fantastic hop aroma and flavor. Add dry hops to that and you are in hop heaven.

For some reason i always have a hard time with Nelson. When i use this hop i get a hint of bo tast but the aroma is amazing. I may have gone wrong adding it to early in my boil and using a smaller amount at flameout. Could the bo be from something else? but it only happens when i use the nelson

I hop bursted a pale ale with Amarillo, Simcoe, and Citra. Mixed 1.5oz of Citra, and 1oz each Amarillo and Simcoe together, then hopped the beer heavily with that mix from 15min to 0. (used a little warrior at 60 for some bitterness). It turned out incredible, the Citra just slams you in the face with tropical fruit aromas.

Drinking a pale ale hopped with equal parts Nelson and Galaxy. Very nice fruity aroma and unique taste from the Nelson hops. Think the citra would be pretty similar to the galaxy with the tropical fruit taste and aromas. Will brew this one again.

My last APA I brewed I adjusted my hop schedule to later in the boil. Basically adding more hops later to get the desired IBU's and at the same time increasing aroma and flavor. That thing smelled awesome during active fermentation. I boiled with cascade and citra. It will be dry hopped with I am planning on dry hopping with 1oz simcoe and probably 1/2oz cascade and 1/2 citra.

Here was my schedule for that brew.

boil 15 mins 1.0 Cascade pellet
boil 15 mins 0.5 Citra pellet
boil 5 mins 1.0 Cascade pellet
boil 5 mins 0.25 Cascade pellet
boil 5 mins 0.6 Citra pellet

dry hop 5 days 0.5 Cascade leaf
dry hop 5 days 1.0 Simcoe pellet

Nope. That schedule and the alphas in the hops I used calculate out at 41.5 on hopville.

This is a quote from this link/article as already posted. http://www.mrmalty.com/late_hopping.php

Lots of Late Hops = Lots of Flavor and Aroma

It seems really simple when you think about it: Add more late hops and get more flavor and aroma. Most of us, when we started brewing, were told that early hop additions are for bittering only and late hop additions are for flavor and aroma only. What we were not told is that shifting the bittering load to late in the boil can still provide substantial bittering in addition to a huge hop flavor and aroma. Done right, it can produce some really spectacular results

Back