California Ale yeast with Edworts Apfelwein?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RGH

Reaction score
I have been culturing White labs California Ale (WLP001 I believe) and have about a quarter of a cup right now in the flask that I aerate 3 to 4 times daily by giving it a few good swirls, and I feed it a DME+nutrient every 3 to four days. Would that go good in Edworts Apfelwein? also when I went to the fridge I noticed that I have a smidgen of some english ale (WLP002) yeast sleeping in a tube so that would be an option once I revive it and let it multiply. Any thoughts? thanks in advance!

The thing that sets Edwort's recipe apart from other is its dryness from the Danstar Nottingham yeast. So it is really up to you and how sweet you want it to finish. Nottinghay looks like it will finish the dryest, with Cali Ale not far behind, and then the English Ale yeast will finish relatively sweet.

I think the cali ale would work just fine. It won't be as dry as the wine yeast, but that could be an asset. I would think the English ale would finish way too sweet for my tastes but if you want it sweet that would be the one to pitch.

Thanks guys! I have about 50ml of the Cali ale yeast, is that too much? Will the yeast change the awesome 8.5% ABV? With a four-day weekend upon me and a kegerator in the midst, I think its gonna be a good one.

Back