Bottling Mishap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frantic211

Reaction score
Hello All,
I just bottled my first batch of beer. Here is the thing I went to the store after work and got priming sugar (I am not sure what kind), Came home measured it out, threw it the the bottling and siphened the wort into it. I didnot boil it, is this going to ruin the whole batch? or do you think it might be still drinkable?
Thanks,
Matt

It's unlikely that it ruined the batch. You boil it to sanitize it, so now there is a slight chance of infection. Relax... it's remote.
You should use corn sugar to bottle. I don't think I've ever seen it at the grocery store. I get it from the homebrew shop.

I've been under the impression that the boiling of the sugar in a solution is just to dissolve the sugar and make it more mixable in the wort. I don't see that it would be a huge problem as long as you mixed it well before bottling. A friend of mine made the same *mistake* and the closest thing he had to a problem was that it seemed he didn't have a very consistent carbonation throughout the batch. I guess that possibility of contamination exists but I wouldn't be too concerned about it as there's probably enough alcohol in the bottles that not too much else will grow, given the small amount of headspace. Of course take this all at face value as I'm not as experienced as many others on this site and they may know a little more than I on the subject.

Sweet thanks guys...I was kinda freaking out :p If anyone else has anything to add please do...

I have always understood that the boiling process breaks down the larger sugar molecules into smaller ones that are easier to process by your yeast.
The only thing you might see is a longer time to finish the conditioning phase.

Also, I used to add a package of dry nottingham yeast to the beer (not the boiling sugar solution) just before bottling. This "re-pitching" step gave excellent results. The beer always carbonated well and was even from bottle to bottle. Take 1 pkg. yeast, make a starter, let stand till you see activity then pitch into the beer. Stir well then add your sugar solution. Happy bottling.
Ken

Back