Lagunitas IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dude

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Finally got to try this after hearing so much good stuff about it.

I must say I was seriously disappointed. :(

It was pretty bad. It had a huge ice tea taste that totally overpowered the beer. I've tasted that ice tea flavor in a beer before--but not that bad. I'd kill to know what gives it that flavor? A base malt? I doubt it is yeast, but who knows.

Anyway, Lagunitas IPA = 1/5 (and that is being generous).

Dude said:

It was pretty bad. It had a huge ice tea taste that totally overpowered the beer. I've tasted that ice tea flavor in a beer before--but not that bad. I'd kill to know what gives it that flavor? A base malt? I doubt it is yeast, but who knows.

That might not be a bad taste in a beer if done properly. Maybe it's a malt/hop combination that does it. I would bet that hops are involved in some way. I can see how too much of an iced tea character in beer would not be good. :drunk:

That sucks! I LOVE their beers. Maybe you got a bad one...Where did ya get it?
ive only had them in cali, if you got one here in VA i wouldnt be suprised if it was mishandled...That beer got me into homebrewing.

Dude said:

You know, I've been one of the faithful who swears by this stuff, and I had it recently for the first time in a few months, and it didn't strike me as being as good as I remembered it. I hear you on the tea flavor. I remember it as being much better. I wonder if they've changed something...

samuelzero said:
You know, I've been one of the faithful who swears by this stuff, and I had it recently for the first time in a few months, and it didn't strike me as being as good as I remembered it. I hear you on the tea flavor. I remember it as being much better. I wonder if they've changed something...
I know one of my longtime favorite beers, Carolina Pale Ale, went through a period of about a year where I did not like it at all. It makes me wonder if certain recipes are more susceptible to the variation in barley and hop crops from year to year (much like a varietal wine, though probably to a lesser extent). In any case, it tastes pretty good again.

I like their IPA, I'm in Texas. I bought one of their Maximus, ? a double IPA, but I haven't had a good opportunity to drink it yet.

Just drank a Maximus IPA last night, A hearty HOPPY m----r f----r. If you have an ipa addiction this is the one 4 u. Their reg ipa is awsome , also got me into hbing. Try their brown shugga all I have to say is awsome.

Can't imagine how anyone could dislike Lagunitas flagship brew...I'm in support of this "bad bottle" theory out in the East Coast.

Locals get first pick??

East coast Lagunitas fan here (CT). Something must have been wrong. It's a great beer!

Lagunitas IPA is my favorite IPA. . . on draft. In the bottle it's okay.

See if you can find it on tap, maybe you'll like it better.

B

Lagunitas IPA is horrible. I hate the bitterness in most of their beers, and I think it's from all of the hop extract that they use sometimes.

Their best beer is Undercover, IMO.

Back