Temperature Control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lochmiel2003

Reaction score
Curious to see what others do to maintain a lower temperature during fermentation...

My basement is usually around 68-70...any suggestions on how to create an environment (cost effective) for a 60 degree ferment??

http://www.wortomatic.com/articles/Remote-Sensing-DIY-Controller-for-Less-Than-$25

How bad is to have your primary or secondary as well fluctuate in temp? I want to a larger and just keep it outside in my shed, but I know the temp will probably be anywhere from 20’s at night to mid to high 50’s at night. Is that up and down going to really screw with the beer? I was thinking this might work if I do a steam type where is left it go for 2 weeks at a temp of 60’s and then let it go crazy outside for a couple weeks after that in a secondary.

Temperature control is probably the biggest factor in going from OK beer to great, award winning beer. Yeast, IMO, is the most important ingredient, and you need to give a good suitable working enviroment. Temp fluctuations of more than a few degrees can cause off flavors and stalled fermentations, and getting down into the upper 20's may freeze the beer and crack the carboy. A lager needs to be kept STEADY in the lower 50s for fermentation, then just above freezing for the lagering period.

That’s a good point on the cracking of the carboy, because that didn’t even cross my mind. Ok, that pretty much answers my question slow and steady can almost be the answer to any homebrewing question.

I use the time-tested-and-true chest freezer + RANCO controller combo.

9538-9-8-07_9_Fermenters.jpg

Latest posts

Back