Tell me about Willamette Hops (and how they fare in an ordinary bitter)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
Well, I know they are certainly not the respectable proper English hops for an ordinary bitter but I have a bunch. I am making 10 gallons of bitter and I have very little goldings, and only a pinch of challenger. For some reason I lost my head and bought whatever stock my LHBS had when hops started getting scarce even if I had never used them before.

So I have about 4 oz. of Willamette and no idea what to do with them. From what I understand some folks consider them a "relative" of Fuggle?

Though it is not traditional will it be drinakable or are they WAY out there bitter/flavor/aroma wise?

I also figured using them solely would be a good way to "get to know them"

But not at the expense of making something I do not enjoy drinking.

From HopUnion's Hop Data Book
US WILLAMETTE
Pedigree A triploid seedling of the English Fuggle variety.

Cone-Structure Small to medium sized, round, and fairly light
Lupulin Moderate amount, golden yellow in color
Aroma Mild and pleasant, slightly spicy
Alpha Acids 4.0 – 6.0% w/w
Beta Acids 3.0 – 4.0% w/w
Co-Humulone 30 -35% of alpha acids
Storageability 60 – 65% alpha acids remaining after 6 months storage at 20º C

General Trade Perception A quality aroma hop
Possible Substitutions US Fuggle, US Tettnang, Styrian Golding
Typical Beer Styles All English-style Ales, and US Pale and Brown Ales.
Additional Information Released in 1976 and well-established in the US industry. Currently the most widely grown aroma hops in the US.
I'd use Willamette anywhere you'd use Fuggle. Very similar flavor and aroma. Willamette is perfect for English style beers.

Chad

Golden Valley Brewing did an all Willamette Fresh Hop Pale this year. Definitely had more of an English flavor to it.

Willamette hops are Teh Awesum, and are by no means out of place in Bitter. As Chad points out, they are a Fuggles cultivar, and what could be more appropriate than Fuggles? In fact, I can't sense the difference between the two.

Shocking, I know, but contrary to popular belief I am imperfect. :D

I use Willamette exclusively in my most popular Ordinary Bitter recipe. That developed from a dearth of Fuggles once; my LHBS lacked them, and suggested Willamette. My friends preferred the Bitter with the substitution.

Simply put, if you like Fuggles, you will enjoy Willamette.

Cheers!

Bob

Thanks.

I have read the varius descriptions but it helps to hear from folks who have used them and are familiar first hand with their attributes.

Its a go then. 5 gallons with one yeast (US-05) and 5 with another (windsor) then on to a barleywine and a brown ale...

Yes the US-05 is a bit Un-English as well, but that one is mostly for the yeast cake for an American Barleywine :drunk:

They are also one of the bittering hops (along with Tettnanger) for Redhook E.S.B.; some even use them at the end of the boil in that brew as an aroma hop. Going to do the same this weekend.

I just made a SMaSH with Willamettes and I can tell from the hydrometer sample and the smell coming out of the fermenter that this is going to be a good one. I would have made an ordinary bitter but I wanted to get the full range of profile on these hops as they are home grown, I would say I landed more on the IPA range with using 4oz of hops.

Funny you should mention homegrown...

Part of this experiment will actually help to determine if I will grow them next year. I read they grow well in New England. My Goldings are not very happy here so Willamette may be the answer. Just did not know what they are like.

I'd skip the Windsor and get WLP002, but that's just me.

Going strictly with what I can get locally. My LHBS does not carry good liquid yeast... don't ask what they carry. I was going to use SafAle s-04 but I thought I would give Windsor another try. I suppose this is really an experimental batch in many ways.

Can you skip the windsor and go with S-04? I believe it is a bit more English in its profile and its made by the same folks as the S-05....................*edit* I didn't see your last post.

Back