WTF is up with TX?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrewBrew

Reaction score
So I'm in Texas for work right now (Childress... aka middle of nowhere) and asked where the best place to get a beer in town... was told "this is a dry county".

WHAT THE SHEEEEEEEEEIT!??!?!? So I did a little more research and found that the next county over wasn't... so of course I drove 30 minutes... only to spend 18 bucks on a 12 pack?!??!?!?!?! WHAAAAAAAT!?!?!?

How can you Texans stand this cripe??? I mean, many of the founders of this country were homebrewers... so clearly they support drinking... all of these conservative bastards in Texas, who claim that they're trying to maintain morals, are completely going against conservative measures though!

I HATE TEXAS! :mug:

I've yet to encounter a Dry county down here in Austin. I know they exist.. and I don't pay 18 bucks for a 12 pack of anything. Then again I've paid 10 bucks for a 6 pack of some very nice micro brew.. so maybe I have.

I think Lubbock is in a dry county as well. I remember having to drive outside city limits to get alcohol.

You can't sell liqour on Sunday before this and this time here in Texas as well.

I was in San Angelo, TX and not sure if it was a dry county or what; but I did have to go out of city limits to get some brewski's at Pinkys liquor store.

Well, instead of hammering on TX I'll bang on my home in Milwaukee area. This was an old thread a year+ ago but you couldn't buy booze/beer after 9p, but the bars would stay open til 2a and some would sell booze to ya to take out. So if you ran out early (9p is early isn't it?) everyone would hit the streets and hit up the bars. The deterence rules forced you into the streets. :confused:.

Worst case scenario. Went to a cousins wedding in Indiana. Dry county and a dry wedding reception. We ate friggen cake and watched them open gifts! :mad:

Worst case scenario. Went to a cousins wedding in Indiana. Dry county and a dry wedding reception. We ate friggen cake and watched them open gifts! :mad:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Tell me they atleast played a polka and had cannible sandwiches?!?!?!
WTF kinda of hethens are they down there?

Seriously, I woulda grabbed my gift bared me arse and told them where exactly to plant thier lips.

No beer? No Pumbaa! :tank:

I have family in Childress. They're cotton farmers. I got to drive the tractor when I was a kid. I don't remember any beer, but then I was about 12. :p

I always thought it was funny when I was going to school (A military one in Kansas) no Alcohol could be sold on Sundays, but We could go on the base and get it, or just drive 5 minutes into Missouri and buy it (cheaper too because of lower taxes) When you crossed the Bridge there was a gas station mini-mart that had 3 walkins full of beer :mug: I also fount it absurd that if you stopped for gas on "State Line road" on Sunday if you were on the MO side of the street you could get beer, on the KS side you couldn't.

I've got a buddy who lives in Keller and it's a dry county for spirits, but you can buy beer/wine in the grocery stores as a matter of fact you can get some good beers (i.e. Bridgeport, SNA, and Redhook).

Hey, I happily fork over $34 for a 4-pack of World Wide Stout when I see it.

Yeah, being from southeast Oklahoma, I always thought of Texas as the beer Mecca, because they had 6 point Bud and a lot better selection of craft beers.

However, after moving to oklahoma city I realized that we had a lot more good beers, that who cares if you can get pisswater in 6 point, they can't buy any beer at all on Sunday and some of them have to drive miles to even buy beer.

Still, it's stupid that we can't buy 6 point swill. And we have to buy our good beer hot. Every single one of them, can't even find cold SNPA.

Bush lovin momo's :fro:

Seriously... lets compare demographics by geography.

Most educated states: Northeast
Least educated states: TX, OK, Mississipi (hell, they can't even say the state name right "missipee"), etc. etc. etc.

:)

Call me a yankee aaaaaaaaaaall day long... rednecks :cross:
(just foolin around)

I worked just north of Houston one time near a town called Buffalo a few years ago. When I got to the rig they weren't ready for me so I had to spend a week in the hotel in town. The first night I went to a pizza joint and ordered a beer, no dice. Long story, slightly shorter - Dry County. The worst week I ever spent in Texas! The irony was that there were more empty beer-cans on the sides of the roads there than in any other place down there!

below the belt....

i used to live in indiana...no beer sales on sunday, or election day.. don't know what kinda puritan's set that up... my swmbo, is a native from indiana, when i'd complain about not being able to buy beer on sunday, she'd say, we're a little smarter than you and buy beer ahead of time... i still don't get it, what if you run out when the colts are choking in the playoffs again? :p

t1master said:
no beer sales election day
I know we're not supposed to get political here, but just WTF is up with that? It's the same dam way everywhere...why the hell can't we drink on election day? I mean, if there's one GDF day when we need to be be drunk and incoherent, it would certainly be the day when we "get to" decide which ignorant a$$hole gets to f#(^&ck us in the a$$ for the next 2, 4, or 6 years. Just MHO. :mad:

:rockin:

i'm with you. they even close the local watering holes. i'd be right pissed if i owned a tavern or something.

Being a native of St. Louis, Missouri only got rid of the Blue Laws (no beer sales on Sunday) in the mid 80's. You could still get package from restaurants and such... The only difference in the Election Day law was that beer sales could resume after the polls closed... I THINK that law is gone... Not sure...

I live in Illinois now. I drink whenever I want. I NEED to.... I live in Illinois... Land of Lincoln and some of the biggest crooks Gov't has ever seen...

And The only problem I have with TX is DFW... man that is one F#$&*'d up airport....

Ize

Kill a couple problems with one rock, open a bar that has a voting booth or two. THEN maybe we'd get sum of those lazy MF's off their butts and to a polling place! You don't vote, you don't ***** about it later! Wow, sorry people..that just sticks in my craw...I'm gonna have a beer...

desertBrew said:

Even worse than worst case scenario: (how, you ask, can something be worse than worst? Well, listen to this) I went to a wedding in Detroit (starting to sound kinda iffy already, eh?). It was in a nice old place called the Polish-American Hall or something. We get there and it's a pretty nice setup inside with a BIG well-stocked bar. So I went and parked my butt on a bar-stool and started waiting until a bartender came. Turns out the bride and groom had decided not to serve any alcohol at the wedding, so the bar was closed! So, no drinks AND I had to look at the bar throughout the reception.

FrewBrew said:
So I'm in Texas for work right now (Childress... aka middle of nowhere) and asked where the best place to get a beer in town... was told "this is a dry county".

WHAT THE SHEEEEEEEEEIT!??!?!? So I did a little more research and found that the next county over wasn't... so of course I drove 30 minutes... only to spend 18 bucks on a 12 pack?!??!?!?!?! WHAAAAAAAT!?!?!?

How can you Texans stand this cripe??? I mean, many of the founders of this country were homebrewers... so clearly they support drinking... all of these conservative bastards in Texas, who claim that they're trying to maintain morals, are completely going against conservative measures though!

I HATE TEXAS! :mug:
I'll do you one better - it's not county by county but municipalities. I've seen cities in Wichita county where you can't by beer, but Wichita County itself has no such stricture. Everybody in that city just drives to the convenience store right outside the city limits and buys their beer.

FrewBrew said:
Bush lovin momo's :fro:

Seriously... lets compare demographics by geography.

Most educated states: Northeast
Least educated states: TX, OK, Mississipi (hell, they can't even say the state name right "missipee"), etc. etc. etc.

Call me a yankee aaaaaaaaaaall day long... rednecks :cross:
(just foolin around)

Just remember, most educated doesn't necessarily smartest!

Mindflux said:
I've yet to encounter a Dry county down here in Austin.

You can say that again! I've had many good times stumbling down 6th street in Austin.

In 1989 I was stationed at Ft. Hood and I moved into a house in Copperas Cove (Coryell county). I didn't find out it was a dry county until I went to the store to buy a 12er on the day I moved in.

"Gotta have beer on moving day. . .Good thing this 7/11 is less than a mile away. . .Ummmmm, where's the beer?. . .Let me check the display cabinets again. . .Not seeing the beer?. . .Maybe they keep the beer in the back. . .Excuse me, where do you keep the beer?. . .What?. . .Dry county, that's funny. . .Haha, no, really where's the beer?. . .Prohibition was repealed, right, can there still be dry counties?. . .WTF?. . .Look lady, I'm moving in today, so please don't f*** with me, just tell me where the beer is?. . .Maybe you no habla, I'll rephrase the question. . .Where do y'all keep the cervesa?. . .This can't be. . .Ohhhhhhhhhh NOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

If it were not for the fact that I could get beer on post 8 miles away, I would have left everything on the truck and moved somewhere in Bell county, a or some other wet county. Very traumatic experience.

I see some serious irony here... someone in this thread just mentioned that we're not supposed to get political (against forum rules I guess)

Fair enough, right???

Then WHY THE FLIP IS THERE A BANNER AD WITH GEORGE DUBYA'S FACE ON IT 2 INCHES ABOVE WHERE I'M TYPING THIS?!?!?!?

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Back