Beersmith and Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adx

Reaction score
I have a question about the BrewSheet from Beersmith with partial mashes. After you sparge the BrewSheet tells you what the Pre-Boil Gravity should be. However, I can't tell if that includes the extract in a PM recipe.

For example on a recipe of mine it says "Pre-boil Gravity is: 1.079 SG with all grains/extracts added". However, the first Boil Ingredient is all my extract. So now I'm confused by the wording and the order that it shows on the sheet.

Is 1.079 your actual pre-boil grav? If so, unless your beer is HUGE, then it has to be taking the extract into account.

I ran into this problem when I was doing a Belgian Golden Strong (AG). My pre-boil grav came out low unless you calculated in the sugar and extract (to make up for eff issues) I was using, but the brewsheet clearly indicated you took your pre-boil grav then added the extract & sugar to the boil. My pre-fermentation grav came out right in the end, but I was never sure what was going on (I was battling a drop in eff after changing to my new system which only confused me more).

Does Beersmith have a forum? You might try looking for an answer there.

Right, that pre boil gravity is with extract, even though you are most likely adding it in the final 15 minutes of the boil. To see what your OG into the boiler should be minus the extract, delete the extract from the ingredient list. Now you can look and adjust your brewhouse efficiency to what your actual OG is. Then just readd the extract to the ingredients list.

Back