What's Brewing This Weekend? (2/4, 2/5)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catfish

Art by David Shrigley
Reaction score
Who started this last week? I went looking for it but couldn't find a new one for this weekend (damn international dateline!)

I never got around to my Experiments in Pale Ale #s 2&3 last weekend, hang over vs productivity vs drinking more. Drinking more won out and I wasn't very productive. I should get to them tomorrow afternoon.

How about you?

Fightin' Monkey IPA II. (slightly amped up). Going from 1.055 OG to 1.072 OG, plus another ounce of Zeus bittering hops @ 14.5 AA. I'm looking forward to this!

I'll be hammering out another batch of my Kaduva IPA on Saturday. I haven't brewed a batch in almost 2 months, and i have GOT to scratch this itch ASAP.

-walker

Gonna brew an Oatmeal Stout. Also doing my first yeast wash.

Wyeast 1028 in the starter last night.

Gonna treat the boys to some Red Ale at a Super Bowl Party.

My neighbor's running a superball tournament Sunday morning and then a party for the game, plus on Saturday I'm tiling a backsplash I promised my wife 3 months ago so I'm out of play brewing-wise this weekend. But I did order two batches worth from Austin Homebrew last night (Aventinus clone and MacTarnahan Amber Ale clone)!

I'm brewing my "No Canoe Brew American Pilsner" this evening. It's going to be a pre-prohibition type American Pilsner, with a slight twist. I'm excited about it.

Firing off another Skibbereen Pale Ale redux (going to graduate it to an IPA), and also might pick up a 6.5 Carboy to have 2 primaries, and fire off a stout. HOWEVER, if I can get time and get all my bits aligned, all that gets scrapped and I do my first AG.

I'll be brewing up a revised Chaos IPA tomorrow and tossing it on a WL English Ale slurry (get the blow-off ready).

11# G.B. 2 row
1# Munich
.5# Crystal 60
.5# Wheat Malt

1oz Nugget 60min
1.5oz Cascade 20min
2oz Cascade dry-hopped.

Except I might muck with the hops some more (61 ibu). Got to see what all is in the fridge.

cowain said:
I'm brewing my "No Canoe Brew American Pilsner" this evening. It's going to be a pre-prohibition type American Pilsner, with a slight twist. I'm excited about it.

That sounds really interesting. Can you share the recipe with us?

I'm thinking about doing a Kolsch tomorrow or Sunday.

mmditter said:
That sounds really interesting. Can you share the recipe with us?

I'm thinking about doing a Kolsch tomorrow or Sunday.

Ok, I don't normally release the recipes, especially when untested, but since you guys are the coolest, I'll let it go.

NO CANOE BREW AMERICAN PILSNER

O.G. = 1.058 (with efficiency of 68%, no comments, please)
IBUs = 32
Alcohol = 5.5% by volume

10 lbs. American 2 row
4 lbs. Vienna

7 gallons in brew kettle, estimated to collect 6.5 after 60 minute boil.

.5 oz Chinook hops @ 60, .5 Northern Brewer @ 30, 1 oz. Saaz @ 15.

White Labs German Ale/Kolsch Ale Yeast WLP029

Will ferment as close to 65 degrees F as possible for about a week and a half. No secondary. Then will store in keg in fridge around 40 degrees F for two weeks or so, then filter and serve. Hopefully the yeast will give it a somewhat lager type feel with a little ale excitement.

I suppose the twist would be in the yeast, the use of Saaz hops at the end (instead of all American hops), and the high amount of Vienna. I'm hoping for a little more malt emphasis than you normally find in an American Pilsner, while going for the Pre-prohibition type bitterness (for thos who remember the thread about my gramps and his post WWII beer he wanted) with the clean finish of a lager. I hope it works out well. Comments?

I'll be brewing a double stout for St Patrick's and a Rightous American Ale from charlie p's book.

Passload said:
I'm going to be brewing two extracts this weekend a Weizenbier and American Amber.:drunk:
Nice...wheats seem like a good beer to do extract. The last beer I did was an AG wheat that was nothing but wheat and 2-row which can be exactly correlated to extract. In theory, you wouldn't even need to steep anything for that recipe.

I started this, Catfish - thanks for keeping it alive!:) I meant to do it myself, but got too busy and too involved in the 06.06.06 thread!

My plan it to get up early Sunday morning and brew a Dortmunder Export Lager - my first ever - before the Big Game! I'm shooting for something close to Great Lakes Brewing's Dortmunder Gold. I'm calling it Dortmunder Pretzel Munchin' Beer. I even bought some big soft pretzels to eat while brewing!:D

Hmm, where to begin. I just racked my Desert Dog Brew (american pale ale) to the keg last night and charged her up. Drinking it now...yummm. Tomorrow will be busy. I am going to be brewing another American Hefeweizen (Babes Brew) for the wife then need to rack my porter to secondary. The apricot extract that was added to the first hefeweizen did not work out at all. Gave it a sour non apricot taste so I might be dumping that this weekend.

My IPA is in the carboy and bubbling away nicely. Feels good to have something in my fermenter after 2 months of looking at empty vessels.

However, I made a serious boo-boo when I took stock of my bottled supply last week. I had the 80/- and Pandora in plastic milk crates that were stacked up.

I was *sure* that the crate of Pandora was almost full, but when I started loading up the fridge yesterday afternoon in preparation for the super bowl, I was horrified to find that there were only 12 bottles of Pandora in the crate!

I'm down to about 8 Pandora's, 6 stouts, and 2 80/-'s today! I'm gonna run out before the IPA is ready!

well.. I *do* have a LOT of my porter, but that stuff is simply terrible. I should just dump it and forget it ever happened.

-walker

I am in the same position. I just brewed up my Angry Simon Stout last night-it is bubbling nice in the bathtub (lesson learned from last big beer), but I only have 4 litres of Pale Ale left, and I am afraid of the first stout that I brewed. I do have some Red Ale in the secondary now, though, that will hit bottles this weekend.

Well, we had 3 batches going this weekend, and I am sad to say we lost one to a mash tun malfunction.

On Saturday we did an Oktoberfest from extract, then a pale ale from AG (this guys second batch, and first AG). He accidently pushed the plug on my mash tun back in, so it all drained onto the garage floor. But we were having major problems draining the mash anyway (the stainless braid wasn't working).

Sunday morning I made a new mash tun with a ball valve assembly and a new braid. Everything worked great and my California common came off nearly perfect. I say nearly perfect because I have quite a bit of trub, but I'm going to rack to a secondary as soon as krausen falls then rack to a tertiary a few days after that.

Unfortunately I let one of my buddies watch my brewpot for about 30 seconds and he let it boil over. :( So I have less than 5 gallons in the primary.

mpetty said:
He accidently pushed the plug on my mash tun back in, so it all drained onto the garage floor. But we were having major problems draining the mash anyway (the stainless braid wasn't working).
I occasionally had the same issue with my plug/braided hose setup. While it was a quick and easy way to go AG, I pretty quickly upgraded to a proper bulkhead and copper manifold.

BeeGee said:
I occasionally had the same issue with my plug/braided hose setup. While it was a quick and easy way to go AG, I pretty quickly upgraded to a proper bulkhead and copper manifold.

I really like my bulkhead and stainless braid. I used a different braid this time (braids not as tight). I will reengineer the connection to hold the braid on the floor of the tun and close to the bulkhead, so I can get quick vorlaufs.

Back