Got a one gallon jug of apple juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ol' Grog

Reaction score
Was winterizing the boat Sunday and realized I got a gallon of apple juice sitting in the refrigerator that I use for keeping drinks and snacks cool. This is really new to me, but is there a yeast I could simple add to this and just let it sit all winter and try it out next spring? I guess like a apple cider or something?

Yes there is. If you don't mind dry Cider, try a pack of Montrachet yeast and stick an airlock on the bottle. Don't forget to leave some room above the juice in case it foams up a little. There is many other types of yeast to choose from too. Just keep searching the posts and you will find them.

Oh yeah, and don't forget to take it out of the frig first. All this should be done when the juice is at room temp.

i drank a 22 oz a friend gave me. i thought i was going to die. i remember hallucinating. i'm going to try my own batch eventually, but man that stuff packs a punch!

I've got a batch going I just started 2 days ago, followed Ed's exact recipie. Its bubbling good and I can actually see whats going on thru the glass. Ill let it age for 2-3 mths probably, Got plenty of other brew 2 drink first! My Scottish Ale is tasting pretty well tonight.... Cheers!

OldFarmer said:
guys, i got interested in that stuff and started 5 gal using Es's recipe.After 6 weeks, Dang, my tastes are a lot different from others. OG with corn sugar: 1.060. FG: 0.990. As you can see, there is over 8% hiding in there, and it did hide it well. But, apple taste was minimal. Watery, thin, dry. Tasted like pooch piss. (sorry Ed. I know you got awards and all :) ) Guess, i'll stay with beer...

There's no shame in back sweetening it. If you bottled, you can add some sugar when you pour. If you keg, a cup of splenda works wonders. It starts getting even smoother at 3 months.

I just tried my apflewine and its only a few weeks old but I really liked it. Tastes like wine with an apple nose. Loverly.

Back