barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rico6115

Reaction score
just ordered a barleywine and have a few questions about it/ and the style. is there a site i can be directed to. the Q's i have are is the primary the same length as a regular sg beer..1-2 weeks? how long to keep this in the secondary, and am i going to boil this up the same timeframe as a regular sg beer. Also its said the longer its in a bottle the better, but what is the earliest recommended time to crack one open. im planning on doin 2 batches. the barleywine first and when thats in the secondary for a few weeks/months, ill brew up a nice ale. thanks

And let it age for quite a while. My Old Helicon was brewed in December and just won 2nd place at the LA County Fair. Leave it in the bottle for 6 months if you can stand it.

Make sure you have a good stock of homebrew before you brew the barleywine, because you will need to wait. I did 2 weeks primary, 6 weeks secondary, and they've been aging bottles for about 3 weeks now. It's a good beer now, but I can't wait until it really starts getting good in another few months.

yea i figured it would take a while, but im really looking forward to tasting this one. what i was gonna try to do is take it out at the beginning of next summer!? itll be my birthday brew. thanks for the info.

Professor Frink said:
Make sure you have a good stock of homebrew before you brew the barleywine, because you will need to wait. I did 2 weeks primary, 6 weeks secondary, and they've been aging bottles for about 3 weeks now. It's a good beer now, but I can't wait until it really starts getting good in another few months.
Yea I've made this mistake with my RIS. I am running low on home brew and my RIS is taking up space in my secondary. I did manage to leave it almost 3 weeks in the primary and it is going on 3 weeks in the secondary but I'm really starting to feel the need to bottle it. And then once its bottled it is going to be really tough to leave it hide in the basement for the months I want to age it. I may have to drink half now and leave the rest for next year. :mug:
Craig

okay so I'm going to get crucified. I just racked my Scottish OG1092 into secondary. Will bottle in November. I'm looking at a barley wine to drink in January at a minimum. a month in fermentation is a pale ale

My Gentleman's coffee Stout was racked to secondary In June. It's base is an RIS. will bottle in November for drinking in December through When ever it runs out. Cannot seem to get a year on it. Anything less means learn how to age. See RIS 2011 recipe. I used that recipe.

Generally you'll want to boil your barleywine a lot longer too, I don't think that was mentioned - AG-wise, I would say 120+ minutes, even up to 4-6 hours. Might as well start smaller there though. The one and only barleywine i've done (still aging but has tasted great so far) was 150 min boil, 3 weeks primary, 5 weeks secondary and plan to age 3 mo before opening the first bottle (and spread them out over a couple years)

Back