WLP 002 vs. Wy 1318 and WLP 037

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

befus

Reaction score
My current house favorite is WLP 02 which I have used on several, mostly English, brews. I like the malt to dominate and do not mind a little sweetness. I don't dislike hops, but I want the malt to come through as the main flavor. Just thinking of other yeast possibilities for malty brews and came up with Wyeast's 1318 and White's seasonal WLP 037 as possibilities. Never have used either and wondered if y'all have opinions to share considering my tastes? I would not mind other suggestions, and if the yeast could be used on other styles that would be a plus obviously. TIA.

Both are good strains. 1318 is a favorite of mine and it will produce a malty and clean beer but will finish with some residual sweetness even with high attenuation. It does not produce much, if any diacetyl and is especially nice in milds, brown porters, malt-forward bitters, and things like that. It is possibly the best English top cropper so expect to have a thick krausen on top of the beer so long as you let it. Wlp037 is good too, malty and relatively clean w/ out much diacetyl. At higher temps it can get pretty fruity. Been a while since I've brewed with it, need to get it when it comes out again.

I love 1318, it's pretty much my go to for English styles lately. It lets the malt come through without over powering the hops, it gives the beer a great mouthfeel, and it's pretty clean, especially at the lower end of the temp range.
Bierhaus is totally right, it'll sit on top forever if you let it, I have an ESB that's been done for a bit and the dough layer is still there, no signs of dropping.
As for the others, I've never used White Labs yeast, so I can't say.

Thanks fellows. I guess since the WLP 037 won't be out till winter I'll hook up with some 1318 and brew a bitter and see how it compares to the WLP 02. Might even do a Scottish 80/- with it.

Just to add my $.02. I have gone to 1318 as my only British. IMO it cleans up the best and leaves the best malty profile.

Back