what variety of hop would you say is most "minty"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker

I use secondaries. :p
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking to tweak my IPA recipe for the next batch. The bitterness is fine, but I wish it had more of a crisp, minty taste to it when it first hits the tounge.

-walker

You could always try throwing in some mint leaves at the end of the boil. The only hop that comes to mind is Norther Brewer, but it's more of a piney bite then a mint taste I suppose.

NB and Perle are about the only ones I can think of: NB Aroma is medium-strong with evergreen and mint overtones. Perle, minty bittering and good green hop aromas. I think you'd be better off with actual mint. That way you could have the exact mint (spear, pepper, winter, etc-mint) that you are looking for.

Try "dry-hopping" with different types and amounts in the bottle. Have a taste test.

david_42 said:
NB and Perle are about the only ones I can think of...

I was thinking Perle myself, but only because I used it in my last batch and couldn't stop smelling the foil pack...I'm not sure 'mint' came to mind, but it was very aromatic and pleasantly spicy which might be 'minty' to others.

Back