Hops in the primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Svenhook

Reaction score
Is it bad to keep boiled hops in the primary fermenter? Will this hurt the flavor of the beer? How big of a difference does it make?

Thanks

The boiled hops have already given their all to the beer. They will eventually settle out as trub, and you will leave them behind when you rack to the bottling bucket.

No worries!

I strain the boiled hops out when adding the chilled wort to the fermenter. And don't dry hop in primary till a stable FG is reached,or say goodby to hop aromas.

I use pellets and throw them straight into the kettle, and I dump everything into the fermenter (cold break and all to get the sugars stuck in there). That means all the hops go in with it, and I have had no ill effects. I have done this with winning brews.

Some do, Some don't It doesn't seem to matter either way unless your goal is dry hoping in that case +1 on unionrdr's post

Should you decide to filter them out, just fair warning that it may take a while. Hop trub tends to clog filters. Also, the sludge is fairly goopy, so you'll have some liquid losses there. Not sure filtering actually gets you more beer (but never tested it).

Should you decide to filter them out, just fair warning that it may take a while. Hop trub tends to clog filters. Also, the sludge is fairly goopy, so you'll have some liquid losses there. Not sure filtering actually gets you more beer (but never tested it).

+1 there is some truth to that, what I do is take my wort spoon and press it like a tea bag against the sides of the bucket. Takes a little time (probably a better method out there) but it works.

I think if you don't strain off any late additions of hops during boil there is going to be some degree of dryhopping going on.

The boiled hops don't have much to contribute during fermentation. Dry hopping with aroma hops is done during fermentation however.

Nope.. you don't want to do that.

Wait until after primary fermentation, or else you'll lose most of the aroma.

Back