Making Hard Cider-Newbie Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JaseBrew

Reaction score
So we finally got a 5 gallon carboy! Before i start making beer we decided to make some hard cider. We have 30 pounds of apples, but i don't think it'll be enough to fill a five gallon carboy. My question is.

-Can I top it off with just store bought apple juice from concentrate?
---If so...can i than just add a campden tablet, wait 24 hours than add yeast and wait 2-3 weeks?

I heard store bought juice contains potassium sorbate, and i need to create a "starter" to allow yeast to re-grow. Does it say it contains Potassium Sorbate on the bottle? or is it always added to store bought from concentrate?

Every article i've read seems to run around, and i haven't found a straight answer. Any help would be great!!!

"All Natural" apple juice is OK to ferment. It might use ascorbic acid (vitamin C) as a preservative...but it won't affect yeast. Ciders are sometimes UV or heat pasteurized... also fine.

There is a "stickie"thread by CvilleKevin in the Cider forum that has a lot of useful information.... you might want to check it out.

I've never used a starter with cider, but I've always used dry yeast.

You can add water or some type of sugar (brown sugar goes nice) to reach your target O.G. and volume.

Ferment times are also typically longer than 2-3 weeks.

30 lbs is less than a bushel, so you will probably only get about 2 gal max. You can use store juice, although if you are in Oregon, you ought to be about to find good fresh juice this time of year. Dont use anything with k-sorbate. You can get it to ferment but it will taste like ass.

Back