Windsor Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2pugbrews

Reaction score
I used Windsor yeast in a Goat Scrotum Ale (Papazian) with an OG of 1.047. It started bubbling after about 12 hours but not vigorously. After 3 days it stopped. SG after 4 days was 1.027. I've read in forums that Windsor will "leave a relatively high gravity" and "not as quick as Nottingham"(?), and "I think the attenuation on it is such that it just finishes high."
I this what others have found about Windsor; is the1.027 close to the best I can expect?

2pugbrews said:
I used Windsor yeast in a Goat Scrotum Ale (Papazian) with an OG of 1.047. It started bubbling after about 12 hours but not vigorously. After 3 days it stopped. SG after 4 days was 1.027. I've read in forums that Windsor will "leave a relatively high gravity" and "not as quick as Nottingham"(?), and "I think the attenuation on it is such that it just finishes high."
I this what others have found about Windsor; is the1.027 close to the best I can expect?

Your OG for the Scrotum was only 1.047? I don't remember the recipe, but I did just bottle my own version of the Scrotum, and I seem to remember the gravity being higher. Maybe it was just my version...:cross: With all those adjuncts, I wouldn't trust a low gravity.

Yeah, dude, 1.027 is pretty high for something that started out so low in the first place. I mean, my 1.123 OG barleywine finished up around 1.030...so I'd definitely worry that this beer will be sweet with low alcohol. You're looking at 2.63% ABV. I don't know anything about windsor yeast, but your attentuation for this particular fermentation was 41.58%...in other words, really bad. Like I said, I don't know about Windsor, but I highly doubt that it's supposed to have a mere 41% attenuation rate.

I'd check out other variables. Did you make a starter? What temp did you pitch at? What kind of crazy adjuncts did you use in the Goat Scrotum?

Windsor is highly flocculant and it may have dropped before finishing. It should have given you a FG around 1.014-16. If you haven't tried rousing the yeast, give the fermenter a swirl. If it doesn't get going again, I'd re-pitch.

i second the re-pitch. I used windsor on my first batch. It only got to 1.026 and stayed there. It was my first one and made some mistakes, but wanted to drink it, so I bottled. It wasn't done. At two weeks it wasn't bad. after week three, it overcarbed and got funky.

Back