Troegs Hop Back Amber Ale - WOW!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erbium:YAG

Reaction score
There are many beers and styles of beers I love; and today I had one (actually three by the time I'm writing this) that definitely goes down as one of my favorites. It's brewed by Troegs in Harrisburg, PA, and it's called Hop Back Amber Ale. I'm a big fan of hops; not really in the sense of those typical to an IPA; but rather a variety like Hallertau Mittelfrueh. This beer is akin to just that. It has that intoxicating hop aroma with JUST the right amount of hop bite in the finish, while the maltiness of this brew takes a SLIGHT backseat without letting the hops run away with it. After tasting this one, I think I will definitely be adding a hop back to my equipment list.

I agree, this is a good beer but I like their Pale Ale better.

I'm traveling to the York, PA train show in two weeks and we'll be staying next door to a liquor store. I've been planning to pick this up as soon as we get into town. I was there for the show in 2003 and had their Pale Ale. I'm really looking forward to trying the Hopback!:ban:

Oh, and also a Yuengling Porter on tap!

Okay, I tried it. I bought a case - damn Pennsylvania beer laws, force you to buy an entire case instead of a sixer of this, a sixer of that! Sure cuts down on the number of regional beers a guy can sample! And OMG - the outrageous prices they charge for beer there!!!

Anyway, maybe I got a case that has been sitting too long, but I was underwhelmed. Puny hop aroma and a grassy aftertaste. The maltiness and color were there, but overall, I’d only give it a 2 out of 5. I’ve certainly had better ‘hoppy’ ales. Please tell me this was an off-case!

OTOH, my buddy got Yeungling porter and it was yummy. I picked up a sampler case of Brooklyn Brewing's beers and they were all pretty good. My favorite was the Black Chocolate Stout!

You probably did end up with an off case. Since my original post, I've purchased quite a few more six packs from four or five different liquor stores. There has been a notable inconsistency between them. Most have been just as good as the first; but the ones that were off, weren't bad; but nowhere nearly as impressive as the first. I just finshed another six pack yesterday, and this was definitely great. I guess Troegs loses a few points for inconsistency.

Troeg's is about a block and a half away from my office; I'll go tell them to get their act together and brew some consistent batches. :)

I'm not a real hop-head per se, but one of the hoppier ones I've come to enjoy is Victory HopDevil. Also brewed in PA...

Hop Back is fairly good, but if you really want a good beer from Troegs, grab yourself a 6-er of Troegenator doublebock. It'll kick ya good, and tastes pretty good. It's heavy and malty, so you can't drink more than 2 or 3 without feeling full (and it starts tasting like raw alcohol at that point).

Victory HopDevil is the #1 best bitter beer I've ever tasted. I piked up a 6-er of their Moonglow Weiss Bock and was absolutely amazed at the taste. It was gone quickly and was a huge hit among the group.

As for PA, yes, you're stuck with a case. Luckily Troegs has a sampler case of 4 different 6-ers. Can't go wrong with that! Or (and this is higly expensive) you may purchase a 6 pack directly out of a bar, or a small 6-pack shop (usually conveniently located near a pizza parlor or sub shop). It's more expensive, but ensures you can get a good mix.

If you're back in PA and around the Harrisburg/Lancaster area again, I highly recommend stopping into Appalachian Brewing Co. If you get there during Kiponafest (IIRC - around labor day?) they make a special Kiponafest brew that's only available for about a month around that time. It's great. Also at ABC is Jolly Scot, which is the best cask beer I've tasted.

In Lancaster is Lancaster Brewing, which is also awesome. Strawberry Wheat is a great favorite, as well as the Hop Hog IPA.

I may just go start a thread on PA brews for those who are unfamilliar with some of the most excellent brews that come out of my home state.

jezter6 said:
I may just go start a thread on PA brews for those who are unfamilliar with some of the most excellent brews that come out of my home state.

There's actually a book on it. This is the author's page which also has updates since his third edition came out last year.

He also has written books on NY and VA/DC/MD breweries.

erbiumyag said:
You probably did end up with an off case. Since my original post, I've purchased quite a few more six packs from four or five different liquor stores. There has been a notable inconsistency between them. Most have been just as good as the first; but the ones that were off, weren't bad; but nowhere nearly as impressive as the first. I just finshed another six pack yesterday, and this was definitely great. I guess Troegs loses a few points for inconsistency.

I have found a similar thing with the Hop back that I have sampled so far...very inconsistent but overall a really good beer. The last six was fantastic in both flavor and aroma.

Hop Devil has quickly become a standard tap and take out beer in my area. One thing I have noticed on several recent instances (both tap and bottle) is a fairly pronounced sour finish that I don't previously recall.

ryser2k said:
There's actually a book on it. This is the author's page which also has updates since his third edition came out last year.

He also has written books on NY and VA/DC/MD breweries.

Interesting. I have really enjoyed everything from Troegs thus far. I have some Mad Elf in the fridge. Anyone here had it before? I really like it. Not my favorite style but nice for a festive beer.

puravida286 said:
Try some Troegs Nugget Nectar...high alcohol and high hops!!! Mmmmm

A friend of mine (who isn't a hop head, but does like a hoppy pils) raved about this.

Since this thread just got bumped and it's kind of about PA beers... I have to plug Stoudt's. I've tried all the PA brews and I think Stoudt's has the best lineup... every one of their beers is great. They may not be the BEST of the style, but they are all way above average. You can't go wrong with any case of Stoudt's. I especially love the Gold or Pils.

http://www.stoudtsbeer.com/

I don't think I have mentioned the three recent examples in this thread:

Purchased the sampler case and the hopback was had no where near as strong a flavor and nose as the previous examples. The dreamweaver & pale were solid, decent beers. The Rugged Trail nut brow was prb my favorite of the bunch...great flavor.

Dreamweaver on tap at a local chain restruant: disgusting band-aid/medicinal flavor. Waitstaff attempted to explain that "wheat beers are supposed to taste like that."

Hopback on tap two nights ago...again, decent flavor but didn't pack the hop punch and nose as that previous sixer.

Count me in as another (recently converted) Troeg's fan. If you're ever in the Pittsburgh area, stop by D's Six-packs & Dog's which had Mad Elf on tap for a while, or Sharpedge which had Hopback on cask last time I was there & it was absolutely fantastic.

Took my dad to a beer and cheese tasting featuring Tröeges beers friday night. Six beers paired with six cheeses. It was awesome. The Tröeges brothers themselves were there and gave introductions to each beer, talked about their brewing experiences and such. We got to try the Dreamweaver, Nut Brown, Hop Back, Troeganator, Nugget Nectar, and the Mad Elf. All were damn tasty. I'm guess they grabbed cases right off the line too, cause it was definitely the best I've had any of these beers before. I'd tried all but the Mad Elf. These cheese pairings were great too. Overall it was damn cool.
Next month is a tasting with Magic Hat!

Quickie update on an older topic....

Last night I had some of the Nugget Nectar and it was really good.
7.5% ABV
95 IBUs
Nugget, Warrior, Tomahawk, Simcoe, Palisade (though I don't recall Palisade mentioned on the current label)

http://www.troegs.com/nuggetnectar.htm

Muy tasty and highly recommended for the hop fans.

cweston said:
I'm confused--you can't buy a six-pack in PA? WTF?

Pennsylvannia laws are weird, you can buy beer by the case from a beer distributor, or you can by a six-pack at a bar that has a certain % of its sales as food. Also all the liquor stores are run by the state.

<waves at people on the other side of the Delaware>

Yeah, Troeg's definitely makes some good beers...

My Top 3 in order:

1) Nugget Nectar
2) Pale Ale
3) Hopback Amber

I can drink the Double-bock as well, but only maybe one at a sitting. It's also a good beer for its style. I just prefer hoppier brews.

andypantz13 said:
Pennsylvannia laws are weird, you can buy beer by the case from a beer distributor, or you can by a six-pack at a bar that has a certain % of its sales as food. Also all the liquor stores are run by the state.

<waves at people on the other side of the Delaware>

There are loads of bottle shops as well.

Back