Stuck Sparges Suck My @$$

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I hit the lottery I'm starting an extract company that covers every grain and temperature range. Until then.......I shall embrace my stuck sparges but they can still suck my @$$.

blow into the hose, it can help clear out whatever is clogging the holes.

I brewed a Belgian Wit with 50% flaked wheat. Completely forgot to buy rice hulls and didnt realize until i started my protein rest. LHBS is 40 minutes away. LONGEST SPARGE EVER! and yes, they can suck my @$$

I didn't use rice hulls for the Wit I'm drinking now, lautered fine. Grist was half flaked wheat and 10% flaked oats on top of that, only 40% 2-row.

DSC01698.JPG

The key is a big @$$ manifold, a shallow grain bed, and a slow lauter...

blow into the hose, it can help clear out whatever is clogging the holes.

that's a good idea. I just swapped out my SS mesh tube for a false bottom that was given to me, hoping I can avoid the stuck mash. My sparges have been fine, but first runnings have taken like 1.5 hrs for my 2 AGs.

is it really worth it? 1.5 hours for first runnings!

I like the hobby a lot, but I am not interested in a 6 hour brew day... is there a real benefit to using an MLT and waiting so long, when i can get upper 70's efficiency with the stovetop method?

With the roggenbier, no, as long as you are making 5 gallon batches. I am trying to make bigger batches, but the tea-bag method is perfect.

I will be making it again next week, however...and using MANY new rice hulls and doing a beta-glucan rest. I'll let y'all know how it goesez.

is it really worth it? 1.5 hours for first runnings!

I like the hobby a lot, but I am not interested in a 6 hour brew day... is there a real benefit to using an MLT and waiting so long, when i can get upper 70's efficiency with the stovetop method?

if your stovetop can boil 7+ gallons and if you don't ever do a decoction or turbid mash and you're happy with 70's then no.

I get 85% with the stovetop mash method.

Seriously, I do. I mash at 2 qt/lb, stir like crazy to get all the doughballs out and then put the pot in a warm oven to hold the mash temp for 60 min. I heat on high for 3 minutes for a mashout, then I sparge by putting the grain bag in a strainer over the pot and pouring 1 gallon of hot water over it. I love this method because I can crank out a batch of beer over 1 or 2 days (2x2.5 gallons) with very little effort while I'm doing something else. Just set the timer and when it goes off do the next step. Of course I crush the snot out of my grain, which helps, my usual crush is 0.032 unless I can't get the grain to fit through such a small gap in which case I open it up just until I can get the grain to pass through my BC.

:off: Since this is drunken ramblings here is a totally random photo that has nothing at all to do with this thread. :drunk: :drunk:

felines-stalking-birds-high-quality.jpg

Back