So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grain is crushed for 10 gallons of a nice rye ale. I'll start heating water tomorrow morning. Just finished off an oatmeal stout and am sampling a delicious IPA now.

Kind of late on my pumpkin ale this year, but I'm clearing out some grains and hops, and using the last of my Golden Promise. Kind of a 'forgot to pick up some grains lets see what I have' kind of brew.

This is a 10G boil.

Using Golden Promise / 2 Row mix
Carapils
Vienna
Few Oz of leftover Munich
Few Oz of leftover Crystal
Pound of Melanoiden
About 24# of grain in total.

Cascade for the boil, and an ounce of Northern Brewer toward the end. Finishing with some leftover Hallertau.

Spices in the boil also.

American Ale II yeast starter

Hopefully my day will not end up long (like it usually does with pumpkin ale due to the pumpkin mucking up the mash). I'm putting the pumpkin in a hop sock this time hope it helps. Had 2 # of rice hulls last time and that did not help at all.

And so it begins...

Hopefully the rest of my brew day tomorrow goes smoother. :/

IMG_6209.jpg

I just finished my back to back brews on the new HERMS setup with an electric element cooler HLT. I learned a lot about my equipment, today. Pretty good overall, but I need to make a small change to fix a minor issue.

20151107_143650_zpsmvsxcfiu.jpg

I just finished my back to back brews on the new HERMS setup with an electric element cooler HLT. I learned a lot about my equipment, today. Pretty good overall, but I need to make a small change to fix a minor issue.

20151107_143650_zpsmvsxcfiu.jpg
Hi, I'm a new AG Brewer and not quite where you're at yet but this looks like the way I'd like to go - can you explain your setup in more detail and did you follow a particular DIY to make your cooler HLT?

Hi, I'm a new AG Brewer and not quite where you're at yet but this looks like the way I'd like to go - can you explain your setup in more detail and did you follow a particular DIY to make your cooler HLT?

Sure. I more or less did this: http://www.wortomatic.com/articles/The-Electric-HLT-(or-how-I-built-a-water-heater-in-a-cooler)
Except with the Igloo, the bottom isn't thick so I had the PVC cap sticking down. So I put feet on it. Then the HERMS coil is a 50ft coldbreak SS coil. I had to modify it to make it fit by bending to add an extra turn and some other bends. I recommend just bending your own copper. Wrap a 25ft piece around a keg.

I then used a cheap 12V pump from ebay to move liquid.

At the moment, I am manually controlling everything.

And so it begins...

Hopefully the rest of my brew day tomorrow goes smoother. :/

DONE! :mug: 12 hr brew day.

10-11 gallons in the fermentor.

Can I say I hate cleanup??? :mad: The pumpkin in the hop sack worked out well except for the gelatin formation in the RIMS tube. Yeesh.

Celebration clone??? Recipe, please!?!

Here you go, I found it here on the boards (it's also pretty much the one on the BYO website) and just changed a few things up with what the LHBS had in stock.

[size=+2]NYE Celebration Ale[/size]
[size=+1]21-A American IPA[/size]
Date: 10/29/15

Size: 5.5*gal
Efficiency: 80.0%
Attenuation: 80.0%
Calories: 222.95*kcal per 12.0*fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.067 (1.056 - 1.070)
|====================#===========|
Terminal Gravity: 1.013 (1.008 - 1.014)
|======================#=========|
Color: 13.73*SRM (6.0 - 14.0)
|=======================#========|
Alcohol: 7.08% (5.5% - 7.5%)
|====================#===========|
Bitterness: 69.9 (40.0 - 70.0)
|=======================#========|

[size=+1]Ingredients:[/size]
12 lb (88.9%) Pale Ale Malt - added during mash
1 lb (7.4%) Crystal Malt 60L - added during mash
.5 lb (3.7%) Dextra-Pils Malt - added during mash
1 oz (13.8%) Chinook (13.1%) - added during boil, boiled 60*m
1 oz (13.8%) Cascade (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15*m
1 oz (13.8%) Centennial (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15*m
1.0 ea Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 5.0*m
1.25 oz (17.2%) Cascade (5.5%) - flameout
1 oz (13.8%) Centennial (10.0%) - flameout
1.0 ea White Labs WLP090 San Diego Super
1 oz (13.8%) Cascade (5.5%) - added dry to primary fermenter
1 oz (13.8%) Centennial (10.0%) - added dry to primary fermenter

Will bottle my Dry Stout this weekend.

And then not technically this weekend but off next week so brewing a Gruit and a Honey Porter between Monday and Tuesday.

Either a MoreBeer Blonde Ale or American Ale with a few add-ins. Now that the weather is cooler it will be much more pleasant to do. I drank my last bottle of Columbus IPA a couple of weeks ago so I need to get on the ball and crank out some brews. :mug:

I just now finished the boil on a burbon barrel porter. Running it through the chiller as I type.

Here you go, I found it here on the boards (it's also pretty much the one on the BYO website) and just changed a few things up with what the LHBS had in stock.

[size=+2]NYE Celebration Ale[/size]
[size=+1]21-A American IPA[/size]
Date: 10/29/15

Hey, thanks!

Let us know how that turns out for ya. This really is one of my favorite seasonals, so if it's turns out to be a pretty good clone, I'd be very interested to hear about it.

Bottled my "There Gose Sea Breeze" Thanksgiving at the Beach Beer. Two weeks and a day for it to carb...fingers crossed. 49 bottles.

6 hrs into fermentation, and the blow off tube is chugging away, on the Bourbon Barrel Porter i made this morning. I won't get to taste this till March.

Anyone try using Wyeast's Scotch ale yeast (don't remember the number), for a stout??

Seems it should be ok to style perhaps...?

If anyone can confirm it'll work well, I'll make THAT this weekend.

I got grains, hops and water for a stout, I just don't have an English/Irish ale yeast.

This year's version of Bees of Wallonia:

Honey saison. Using NZ hops this year. Kicked the ABV way up on this one this year too. Prep tonight, pre-dawn start tomorrow as I am going away.

Brewing an APA tomorrow. Using 100% distilled water and building up w/ salt additions.. Experiment to see if my tap water is affecting the hop character in my brews.

Cheers to everyone who is brewing tomorrow. I'll be firing up the kettle about 5-6 in the morning and doing a double brew while enjoying a off day.

Belgian Wit and a Irish Blond planned. Both allgrain brews in the 1.60's. All the water is measured out, yeast starters were done yesterday morning and holding in the fridge. All that's left to do is make some breakfast in the morning. Sausage and gravy, eggs, fresh home made cat head biscuits and a fresh pot of coffee waiting when I wake up.

Tomorrow's weather will be in the 40's-50's, sunny and clear skies and SEC football on the TV while I brew. I feel a good day approaching :)

i-qDR5KCb-L.jpg

Happy brewing everyone!

Ken

Hi All,

I drank a delicious beer a couple weeks ago from Knee Deep Brewing called "Breaking Bud". It was a delicious - danky, piney, grapefruity, with a nice balance of maltiness and a kiss of residual sweetness.

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/23200/159885/

After a quick Google search, I found that nobody has tried to clone this yet on the home-brew level. I'll be taking the first swipe!

First step - research. I've already drank one, searched for existing notes online. Last step was to see what hints the brewery gives.

According to the brewery's website, they describe the beer as:

"Old school meets new school in this fresh approach to the classic IPA. At 50 IBU’s and 6.7% ABV, Breaking Bud features the restrained bitterness and alcohol of a classic IPA with newer tropical fruit hop flavors and aromas of Mosaic. Also in the hop mix are Simcoe and CTZ, creating layers of mango, passion fruit, pine and dank. A malt bill with a pinch of crystal malt and a hefty dose of flaked wheat keeps the beer crisp while adding flavor complexity."

So I went out and bought the malt. I'm going with:
14lb of 2-row pale
1lb flakes oaks
.5lb Crystal 60L

**I've been experiencing VERY low efficiency, so I'm planning 50-60%, putting my somewhere in the 6% ABV range.

For hops I picked up:
2 oz Mosaic 11.7AA
2 oz CTZ (Columbus) 17.1AA
Simcoe (I have a pound in my freezer) 12.7AA

What hop schedule would you all recommend. I plan on dry hopping for a couple weeks in secondary as well. I would love some feedback!

Thanks,
Chris

Hitting up the LHBS tomorrow for grain, hops and yeast and Sunday will be doing my second brew day with a simple blonde ale SMaSH using 2-row pale or MO and Willamette hops to have some brew available while the the brew next in line ages for a while.

I'm brewing a new Christmas beer this year today. Been doing the same one for 3 years so I figured why not mix it up a bit?

I have a ton of house work to do during the mash and boil so it's not a "stand around and drink beer while watching a pot boil" kind of brew day.

aaaaannnnd a seven hour brewday comes to a close. Did the main brew and a partigyle. everything except the kitchen floor is cleaned and stowed. Pitched the main brew and am chilling the partigyle batch.

Nope. No Brewing this weekend but I am bottling up close to 400 bottles for an upcoming function. This is my first "event" and so far so good. Centennial Blonde tastes pretty good despite being warm, green, and uncarbonated. It should be real nice in a few weeks.

I am going to try making my first English Mild on Sunday morning. Going to give no chill for a shot, adjust hops accordingly. Hopefully all goes well.

Back