What to do with berliner weiss?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whisler85

Reaction score
i have a berliner weiss kicking butt in the primary right now, and i was wondering how i was going to package it for serving

i dont really want to put it in the keg, because i feel like the lactobacillus i added could cause me grief in the future

it is supposed to be carbonated to 3.5 to 4 volumes, and i am wondering if the sierra nevada bottles that i use will handle that- if nothing else it will make overpriming/bottlebombs more probable

has anyone had experience with higher carbonation beers? this also applies to the belgian golden strong i am working on and im wondering what to do with these beers

I use the Belgian style 750 ml bottles with a cage and cork for my Belgians. The bottles are rated for the higher CO2 volumes and can handle the stress. Haven't lost any yet.
Westmalle & Orval bottles will also work too!

I'd been planning on brewing a Berliner Weisse (never got around to it), and was saving up champaign bottles for that purpose. Didn't Napoleon call it the "Champaign of the North" or something?

If you take a look, a lot of champagne bottles are actually cap-able with standard beer bottle caps. I think they cap them initially, then do the freeze and disgorge thing, and put in the final cork. Seems cheaper. I have had success making a highly carbonated cyser like this.

Also, Grolsch tops should allow just a little self-venting if you overestimate your priming sugar.

Also, Grolsch tops should allow just a little self-venting if you overestimate your priming sugar.

This is not necessarily true. A swing top bottle is the only one I have had truly become a bottle bomb. The swing top held pressure so well that the side of the bottle is what gave out first. Just some food for thought.

Back