Extract Kit - LME instead of Sugar - Coopers/Black Rock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rohovie

Reaction score
I picked up a Black Rock Brown Ale Extract Kit, similar to that of a Coopers Kit. Instead of adding 2 lbs of sugar, I am adding 3.3 lbs of LME. The kit it self is a no boil kit, however if I am adding the LME instead of corn sugar, does the LME need to be boiled, or just added to hot water to mix properly?

Thanks, Mike

Jaeger48 said:
Late extraction would be best, have you calculated the equivalent of sugar to LME?

If it's a no-boil kit and he wasn't planning on boiling, that's some really late extraction ;)

I would just steep the LME & kit wort in ~175 degree water for 15 mins to mix everything and make sure any thing nasty gets zapped.

Thanks for the reply guys, when I did it, I boiled some water, added the LME let it sit for about 10 min.

On the directions of the kit, it said use either use 2 lbs of sugar or 3.3 lbs of LME.

Thanks again,

Yea that beer will be fine I use 3lbs of lme on the kits often and do the same just mix them in hot water - i dont quite bring it to a boil. Will turn out great.

Cheers

Back