Visiting Warren/Detroit MI..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheeto

Born again N00b
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
:mug:

So where should I go, what breweries do I need to try out?

Oh and where in the heck would I go to watch the Superbowl?

I will be visiting the area from Feb 2nd-10th 2014

Thanks in advance

-Cheeto

B. Nectar, its a wicked good meadery. Atwater Block has good stuff too!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

If you're already going to B. Nektar then Schramm's Mead is just down the road.... ;-)

My 'must do' list would include:
Schramm's Mead
Dragonmead
Kuhnhenn's
Bastone

You'll be tempted to go to Great Baraboo due to the proximity... But you'll regret it. It's plastered with NASCAR and BMC banners.... Oh that they technically make 'beer'....

Here is a directory of breweries if you want to do some exploring other than recommendations :D
http://www.michiganbeerguide.com/?page=directory

As said above, Dragonmead and Kunhenn are top notch. No reason to go anywhere else LOL. Not sure how far Griffenclaw is from there? Their Raggedy Ass IPA is amazing.

Kunhenn's DRIPA is the stuff of legend. Quickly becoming one of the best beers in the state.

Cheeto

The problem with suburban Detroit is everything is so far apart !
The Metro Detroit area is the same size as LA.

Must get to list for Warren,Mi.

Kuhnhenn - Great Beer - no real food - Brewery
Dragon Mead - Great Beer - no real food - Brewery
Bastone - Royal Oak- Great Eats - Brew Pub - brweery in the basement
Monk - right next to Bastone - Great Deserts - great beer menu - Resturant
One Eyed Betty's - Ferndale - they have almost every Michigan beer on tap
Clubhouse BFD - Rochester, Mi. - Great Food - Great Beers on tap - Superbowl !
Griffen Claw Brewing - Birmingham, Mi. - Brewery Pub -MUST GO HERE !!! MUST CALL ME !!!!! - Superbowl !

Enjoy your trip
Pack for brutal cold & snow !

As said above, Dragonmead and Kunhenn are top notch. No reason to go anywhere else LOL. Not sure how far Griffenclaw is from there? Their Raggedy Ass IPA is amazing.

Kunhenn's DRIPA is the stuff of legend. Quickly becoming one of the best beers in the state.

Once Kuhnhenn gets their bottling facility up it will be interesting to see people trying to get their hands on some DRIPA.That beer is going to be so huge in a few months across the mid west.

The biggest one in MI is Champanes it's right there by Kuhnhenn's.
Others I really like are:
8 Degrees Plato in Ferndale (Near Schramm's)
Holiday Market in Royal Oak (Near Bastone)
Parkway Beverage (Clinton Twp)

Some of the breweries and meaderies will have mead for purchase directly from them if you want.

Not sure how far out of the metro area you're coming, but the local place Witch's Hat Brewing in South Lyon is excellent. Small taproom, no food to muddy the experience, about 10 different beers all brewed on site, good mix of types.

Try their Double IPA (Big Doedish), it's really excellent.

Not sure how far out of the metro area you're coming, but the local place Witch's Hat Brewing in South Lyon is excellent. Small taproom, no food to muddy the experience, about 10 different beers all brewed on site, good mix of types.

Try their Double IPA (Big Doedish), it's really excellent.

I will be up around the Sterling Heights area 14 mile rd

Another question..

Are there any good bottle stores in the area?
And do I have to go to a liquor to buy beer?

I have found a good selection at Buscemi's (sp?) and they are everywhere. You can buy beer just about everywhere.

The breweries named are the best around, for sure. If you are looking for a good selection of Michigan craft beers, you could also hit Twisted Rooster (a bit north of where you will be at M-59 and I-94...M-59 is between 19 mile and 20 mile, for reference, it is about the busiest road in that area).

590x451_01301722_severe1.png

Is this really what they are forecasting???

I live 1hr north of the D, we are predicted 5-8" tomorrow!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

Hey Cheeto,

I'm hoping you are a Seahawks fan? I recently moved to Michigan from Seattle (grew up in Tacoma) so I'm glad I came across this post. I live close to Griffin Claw so I'm interested in meeting up for the game.

[I've been lurking here for about four years since I started brewing...I should have joined a while ago since I've learned so much from the forums, but once I saw this post I had to join.]

Hey Cheeto,

I'm hoping you are a Seahawks fan? I recently moved to Michigan from Seattle (grew up in Tacoma) so I'm glad I came across this post. I live close to Griffin Claw so I'm interested in meeting up for the game.

[I've been lurking here for about four years since I started brewing...I should have joined a while ago since I've learned so much from the forums, but once I saw this post I had to join.]

Yes I am a Seahawks fan..

Yes I am a Seahawks fan..

Cool. That's too bad you had to travel on game day, hopefully it ends up with a win.

One other rec is the Public House in Ferndale. The taplist is smaller but has good Michigan beers, the bottle list is more extensive though, and good liquor and cocktails too if you are into that, but the food is the main attraction.

Came down with something. I'll have to pass on making it tonight. Hope you enjoy Griffin Claw. I know you'll enjoy the beers LoL.

Alright, I just confirmed with Cheeto, as talked about we're meeting at 5:30 at Dragonmead, all are invited. We may order pizza, or order from Layzbones, or something. A gaggle of mostly former Hbt-ers/Michigan Mashers may be there....

Back