GF - Why Sacrifice, Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Satisfaction

Reaction score
Building on what I have been learning here, this is my latest recipe in the kegs. The below recipe calls for all the Sorghum in at 60 minutes, this is actually split evenly with half going in at the beginning and half at flame out.

The candi sugar was made at home using DAP and the method linked below. You can pick up pure DAP from More Beer, a pound of it is cheap and will last a long time.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/20-lb-sugar-jar-yeast-nutrient-114837/

I am also experimenting with yeast nutrients during fermentation, using a step feeding plan similar to what is used with mead. There is NO sorghum twang present on the last two gluten free beers using this method. Highly recommend trying it out on your next beer.

GF Simcoe Amarillo Stout
Style: American Stout OG: 1.060
Type: Extract FG: 1.015
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 5.90 %
Calories: 196 IBU's: 35.64
Efficiency: 70 % Boil Size: 6.73 Gal
Color: 30.1 SRM Batch Size: 5.50 Gal
Preboil OG: 1.049 Boil Time: 60 minutes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
Primary 20 days @ 65.0°F
Dry Hop 5 days @ 65.0°F
Bottle/Keg 14 days @ 37.0°F

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
6.60 lbs 72.53 % Briess White Sorghum LME 60 mins 1.037
1.00 lbs 10.99 % Rice Extract Syrup 60 mins 1.032
1.50 lbs 16.48 % Candi Sugar, Dark 60 mins 1.036

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
0.75 ozs 35.64 Warrior 60 mins 15.00
1.50 ozs 0.00 Simcoe 0 mins 13.00
1.50 ozs 0.00 Amarillo Gold 0 mins 8.50
0.50 ozs Simcoe 5 days 13.00
0.50 ozs Amarillo Gold 5 days 8.50

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.0 pkg Safale US-05 Fermentis US-05

Additions
Amount Name Time Stage
12.00 oz Malto-Dextrine 15 mins Boil
1.00 oz Whirlfloc Tablet 15 mins Boil
1.00 oz Yeast Nutrient 15 mins Boil

Mash Profile
(none)

Carbonation
Amount Type Beer Temp CO2 Vols
10.7 psi Force Carbonation 37.0°F 2.50

Stout.jpg

Simcoe and amarillo in a stout? Wow, you have my attention! Actually, the recipe looks more like a black IPA than a stout to me...do tell about the flavor!

Simcoe and amarillo in a stout? Wow, you have my attention! Actually, the recipe looks more like a black IPA than a stout to me...do tell about the flavor!

It started out a stout, but it smelled so good decided to dry hop it. To be honest it is awesome, by far one of my best GF beers. Excellent hop aroma with just the right amount of residual sweetness, the only thing missing is the mouth feel you get with normal stouts.

Wow, that looks awesome. My wife is Celiac and so far I've only done one brew, the Simple Simon Sorghum beer, which is still in the carboy (going to be bottling this weekend). It seems OK, but pretty dull. This looks great. I think I'm going to try adding some roasted GF oatmeal and make it something like an oatmeal stout. Anybody tried something like this?

Wow, that looks awesome. My wife is Celiac and so far I've only done one brew, the Simple Simon Sorghum beer, which is still in the carboy (going to be bottling this weekend). It seems OK, but pretty dull. This looks great. I think I'm going to try adding some roasted GF oatmeal and make it something like an oatmeal stout. Anybody tried something like this?

I suggest checking out this thread, very good community reception and made with oats to boot.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/no-nonsense-stout-323755/

Good Luck!

Back