BCS460 Float switch question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bsquared

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I am putting the final touches on my eHERMS system this weekend. I'm still waiting on my convoluted copper coil for the heat exchanger, but the last of the electrical equipment arrived last night. Two SS 90º float switches, one for the HLT, and one for the kettle.

Initially I was thinking I would wire the output from the BCS to the SSR controlling the heating element through the float switches interrupting the signal to the SSR if there is not enough liquid in the tank or kettle, but then I was thinking I COULD run the switches as a discrete input, and assign it in the software to be on for the elements to be on.

I cant think of any benefit to using the float switch as a DIN, rather than an interrupt to the output of the BCS. I can only think this would use up two DIN positions that could be used for other functions in the future.

Can any one think of a reason to use the float switch as a DIN vs a interrupt to the output?

If it is strictly for cutting power to the heating element, then I see no reason to not wire it inline.

If however, you also need to advance states, stop a pump, start a timer, or some other logic at the same time, then it should be on a DIN so you can do those multiple actions.

The only reason I can think of is so you can get some feedback on the state in the GUI, if you were, for example, operating your brewery from a different location than just standing in front of it.

At least, I'd want to know if my vessel was empty when I wasn't expecting it to be...

Thanks, this is what I was thinking, and It will keep two of my DINs free to control other things. I don't plan on automating much more than I have and I plan on being present the whole time I'm brewing.

Old thread...but you could use it as a DIN to switch off a pump if the vessel level got too low to prevent the pump from running dry.

Now that I have a dozen or so batches with this system, I think I'm going to do a little rewiring. I think Im going to keep the kettle as interrupted, but for the HLT Im going to set it up through the DIN, so I can associate the float switch to a buzzer so i will know when my HLT is almost empty during the sparge. I might add a switch to the kettle too that will monitor when the kettle is full. I over shot my kettle fill last brew by a gallon, the + more beer, the - the babying of the boil before the hot break.

Also Im going to swap out my 3 pin XLR quick disconnects with 4 pin, and rout the float switch through the XLR quick disconnects.

Back