High Gravity - Terminal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nic0

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A friend and I made an experimental batch brewed on the 20th of August, so it's been in the primary fermenter for about 20 days.

The OG was 1.077 at 60°F. I didn't take a gravity reading again until yesterday morning, which was 1.020 at 60°F. I'm planning to transfer it to a secondary fermenter. But I've never done anything with an OG this high before... should I expect it to take significantly more time to drop down or could this 1.020 be terminal gravity?

Perhaps I could pitch another batch of yeast at transfer? We used Wyeast Sstrain 1335 -British Ale II. Supposedly has an alcohol tolerance of about 10% ABV, which I don't think we would quite get to with an OG of 1.077. I'll check again tonight but there hasn't been any major airlock bubbling activity in several days, but there is still the occational bubble. I plan to take another gravity reading before transferring but I'm not expecting anything significantly different.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Nic

Rough estimate puts you at 74% apparent attenuation. Wyeast states 73-76%. So it sounds like you could be at your FG... as long as the 1.020 is a stable gravity.

ayoungrad gives the attenuation as being within range. We dont' know enough about the fermentability of the wort to know if it should be above or below that range. So if you take another reading in a few days and it doesn't change, it's done.

But honestly, if you pitched enough yeast, and fermented at the proper temp, 20 days should do it.

Taste it, but IMO I would call 1.020 a bit high. If you like it, fine, but if not, warm that guy up a bit gradually and see if that doesn't help. 60* is pretty low.

Taste it, but IMO I would call 1.020 a bit high. If you like it, fine, but if not, warm that guy up a bit gradually and see if that doesn't help. 60* is pretty low.

60°F is the temp at which I took the gravity reading, it was nto the temp that the fermenter is sitting at. It's in teh house in the low 70s. I just chilled the sample down to 60 before taking the reading for consistency sake, since I took the OG reading also at 60 degrees.

I will indeed taste it and take yet another reading, but I'm an idiot, forgot to check the attenuation spec... as others mentioned, it's sitting at about 74%, which is right within spec of that yeast strain so I'm not too worried. I'm going to transfer it tonight, take a reading, and take another reading Sunday afternoon and bottle it if it's not significantly different.

Thanks for the help; I'll report back on the taste.

Nic

It's likely done at 20 days, but for sure measure again. One note, if you thought it wasn't done, lowering the temp 10 degrees likely took what little active yeast you had and stressed them into slumber. You are likely done anyway given that has occurred.

It's likely done at 20 days, but for sure measure again. One note, if you thought it wasn't done, lowering the temp 10 degrees likely took what little active yeast you had and stressed them into slumber. You are likely done anyway given that has occurred.

I will measure again. But I did not lower the whole fermenter 10 degrees. It's been right around 70 the whole time. I removed a sample for the purpose of taking a gravity reading and chilled only that sample down to 60, just for a more accurate gravity reading. I must reiterate that the fermentation vessel was not chilled but kept in a room taht is right around 70 all the time.

I will measure again. But I did not lower the whole fermenter 10 degrees. It's been right around 70 the whole time. I removed a sample for the purpose of taking a gravity reading and chilled only that sample down to 60, just for a more accurate gravity reading. I must reiterate that the fermentation vessel was not chilled but kept in a room taht is right around 70 all the time.

Now THAT makes sense! Obviously misunderstood! :mug:

Back