Lesson learned

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SticksBrewer

Reaction score
Lesson learned: Get a kettle with a valve! Or at least use a racking cane!

Here goes my story.

I was brewing up my fifth brew this last sunday. I was all excited to finally brew outside and try out my new 10 gallon stockpot over my old outdoor propane burner. I brewed a Ferocious IPA extract kit (Surly Furious IPA clone) from midwest. This was my first higher gravity brew attempt as well as my first full boil. :rockin:

I brought the water level up to 6.25 gallons after steeping the specialty grains. Kicked it into high gear, got it boiling, all was going well... (jump ahead in time)... After cooling down the wort, it was time to transfer to the primary.

Here is where things go tremendously wrong. Instead of buying a kettle with ball valve, I had decided to save some money to see how things go with this one first. If needed I would install one later or buy a larger kettle with one attached...

Well, it seems that my lower back handles pouring 5 gallons of wort into a pail much different than just carrying the pail. I felt a tweak while I was trying to keep it slow and steady while I transferring the wort. But I finished the transfer, stretched a little, opened another beer and assumed I dodged a bullet.

My only other mistake was adding a little too much top off water (I was trying to get the pail to 5.25 gal, but had closer to 5.5 gal. So my SG was slightly off mark at 1.063.) I felt good about this one. Cleaned up, had another beer to loosen things up and celebrate a successful day

Next morning, my back was little sore. Stretched it out, went downstairs and checked on things, and it was already bubbling away, airlock smelled really nice. :ban:

Tuesday, my back was all tight and getting worse, but nothing a hot shower wouldn't fix.

Wednesday, this is when trouble hit. My back was so tight and sore, I couldn't stand up straight. But I pushed through it, got ready for work, and headed on in. Figured it would loosen up on my to work. It did not. It only got worse and I had to leave earlier. Went to the chiro, snap-crackle-pop, and started to ice it.

Thursday, I was laid out all day icing it on and off. Had to cancel the family camping trip this weekend. Finally today, I am able to move again. Still not able to stand up straight, but finally able to apply heat and can move again.

Needless to say, I will be installing a valve on my stockpot very soon. In the meantime, I will be using a racking cane to transfer the wort.

So I blew out my back, but the brew is doing fine! :eek:

Lesson learned: Get a kettle with a valve! Or at least use a racking cane!

Here goes my story.

I was brewing up my fifth brew this last sunday. I was all excited to finally brew outside and try out my new 10 gallon stockpot over my old outdoor propane burner. I brewed a Ferocious IPA extract kit (Surly Furious IPA clone) from midwest. This was my first higher gravity brew attempt as well as my first full boil. :rockin:

I brought the water level up to 6.25 gallons after steeping the specialty grains. Kicked it into high gear, got it boiling, all was going well... (jump ahead in time)... After cooling down the wort, it was time to transfer to the primary.

Here is where things go tremendously wrong. Instead of buying a kettle with ball valve, I had decided to save some money to see how things go with this one first. If needed I would install one later or buy a larger kettle with one attached...

Well, it seems that my lower back handles pouring 5 gallons of wort into a pail much different than just carrying the pail. I felt a tweak while I was trying to keep it slow and steady while I transferring the wort. But I finished the transfer, stretched a little, opened another beer and assumed I dodged a bullet.

My only other mistake was adding a little too much top off water (I was trying to get the pail to 5.25 gal, but had closer to 5.5 gal. So my SG was slightly off mark at 1.063.) I felt good about this one. Cleaned up, had another beer to loosen things up and celebrate a successful day

Next morning, my back was little sore. Stretched it out, went downstairs and checked on things, and it was already bubbling away, airlock smelled really nice. :ban:

Tuesday, my back was all tight and getting worse, but nothing a hot shower wouldn't fix.

Wednesday, this is when trouble hit. My back was so tight and sore, I couldn't stand up straight. But I pushed through it, got ready for work, and headed on in. Figured it would loosen up on my to work. It did not. It only got worse and I had to leave earlier. Went to the chiro, snap-crackle-pop, and started to ice it.

Thursday, I was laid out all day icing it on and off. Had to cancel the family camping trip this weekend. Finally today, I am able to move again. Still not able to stand up straight, but finally able to apply heat and can move again.

Needless to say, I will be installing a valve on my stockpot very soon. In the meantime, I will be using a racking cane to transfer the wort.

So I blew out my back, but the brew is doing fine! :eek:

I have bled, been burnt, bruised, cracked, twisted, scraped, crunched, and mangled, and even once got physically ill because of brewing beer.

Never once have I regretted it. I'll drink to your health!

Welcome to my world. I've got a bad L2 disc myself. so I fill the fermenter when it's on the fermenter stand to my right (pics in my gallery). That way,I put off lifting heavy things till I switch the FV for the now filled bottling bucket. Even then,I lift the pale with both hands,arms bent toward center of my chest as I lift. Reminds me of one of the weight lifter things my son does,I forget what it's called.
Makes it a tad easier on my back for a couple seconds anyway.

Having had back surgery last November (discectomy) from a bulging disc and severe sciatica, I invested in a pump and quick disconnects. I would heed what happened to your back as a warning. What you experienced was exactly what I experienced right up to the sciatica.
The racking cane is a great option especially if you using a IC and not a CFC, but once you get a pump, you will never want to brew without it. The first time I brewed with my pump I was friggin dancing while I was transferring, I was so happy.
Now all I have to do is devise a way to get my fermenters down to my basement without having to carry them. Another reason to brew indoors.

I may take the advice about the abs as I definitely need to lose plenty of weight. Perhaps this is my wake up call. Of course, prevention would have been the best plan. At least I now know what I shouldn't be doing.

As for the cool down, I currently use an immersion chiller and routed the runoff water to a tree in the yard. In the winter, I will need to figure out a new plan. Luckily my basement is a walkout so I just need to carry the buckets through one room to my utility room where I keep all my gear and brew.

I will just go with the racking cane approach for now since I already have a few of them. Pretty much the same concept as transferring to secondary except I will encourage aeration with a strainer. Since I am planning to build a mash tun very soon, I can just pick up an extra SS braided hose and make a filter for the racking cane...

I can't wait for my Barley Crusher to arrive!!!

I tried to save money by not getting a valve and I would dread that part of the brew day. I should have just gotten one at the beginning. A ball valve is sooo much easier than the stupid methods I tried to get the wort out of the kettle.

I recommend spending a little money and saving your back.

Back