ETC 2 Stage Temp settings for Fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imperialipa

Reaction score
I had posted earlier about help on the temp control. I did a few experiments with it in my chest freezer and let it sit for 6 hours or so and it seems to be holding pretty steady at 70.

Using a large chest freezer from the 50's. All metal lined and pretty huge. And a small space heater set on lowest temp inside the freezer.

So in case anyone needs some advice on programming theirs here is what I did

Plug Stage 1 (S1) outlet into freezer
Plug Stage 2 (S2) outlet in heater
Hit Set on the unit and select Farenheit
Hit Set and access S1. Set temp to 69 degrees
Hit set and access DIF 1. Set at 3
Hit Set and access C1 (cooling)
Hit Set and access S2. Set temp to 67
Hit Set and access DIF 2. Set to 3
Hit Set and access H2 (heating)
Hit set to finish

That this will allow is when the temp in the freezer drops to 64 degrees the heat kicks on and will continue to run until it gets to 67. Then will turn off.

IF the temp inside the fridge gets above 72 the freezer will kick on and stay on until it drops to 69.

I have noticed that once the heater turns off the temp still raises to 70 or 71 but not enought for the freezer to have to kick on @ 72. Holds for quite a while at 68 to 70 and over a 5-6 hour period it eventually drops to 64 and the heat kicks back on raising the temp to 70.

This is out in my garage and its about 48 degrees in there. I would imagine in the summer or if I'm cold fermenting the freezer will need to come on more than the heater. But so far it seems to be working as intended!

Sold my wife onthe benefits of not having that huge freezer running 24/7 :)

Back