Don't go to Buffalo Wild Wings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They gave me a cup which contained:
1). 30% Samuel Adams Octoberfest;
2). 65% Tap Water;
3). And 5% Grenadine, for sweetness.

And you know this because you watched them do it, or because you're as impressed with your palate as some professional whiskey tasters are with theirs?

Eh, to those wondering how I knew I got a Bud Lite or how I knew the exact proportions of the swill they gave me the last time: I don't. I put down my best guess for brevity's sake. When I ordered a Stella, they gave me some American light lager, possibly Bud or Coor's as those were on the menu. When I ordered Sam Adams, the cup contained the ingredients I described; I could taste Sam Adams, somewhat. I could also taste the chlorine from tap water, and the fact that it had been watered down significantly. And Grenadine has a distinctive taste, especially noticeable when dilluted a lot. That's all. It was pretty obvious.

And yes, I suppose the bar is a regional thing. I'm glad to hear people in some places have better bars, but I'm still not a fan of freezer-to-frier food. They do have decent sauces; they need it to cover up the taste of mega-mass-produced fried chicken.

As a rule, I tend to stay away from food that is bad enough to cause misery rather than delight in those who prepare it. Talk to the fry cooks. Ask them about job satisfaction. Case closed for me.

BWW's here in Dallas never disappoints. The service may be a little slow at a couple of them but the beer selection is pretty good. One of them I go to even has Stone IPA on draft. I'm good with that. But honestly, for wings I will always choose Hooters above all else. And that is stricly for the food! If you want to look at scantily clad waitresses there are much better places here for that. Try a Twin Peaks or Redneck Heaven or the Tilted Kilt!

...When I ordered Sam Adams, the cup contained the ingredients I described; I could taste Sam Adams, somewhat. I could also taste the chlorine from tap water, and the fact that it had been watered down significantly. And Grenadine has a distinctive taste, especially noticeable when dilluted a lot. That's all. It was pretty obvious...

So rather than just hold the tap and pour you a complete draft, they went to the trouble of mixing three separate ingredients...all discretely enough that nobody would notice...then served it to you believing you would not know the difference?

Only been to BWW once, near Ferris State, it was decent, had the Asian Spicy boneless wings and they were awesome. Beer wise, the selection was mostly macros, I remember they were all out of micros so I settled on a Blue Moon, which came out with a orange slice on it... I don't like fruit in my beer unless it was brewed with it... so meh on their beers...

Overall though, I'd go there again but probably order a cherry coke, beer is expensive and pop is refillable.

And you know this because you watched them do it, or because you're as impressed with your palate as some professional whiskey tasters are with theirs?

probably exaggerating a bit (or alot, i don't believe him either) because the concoction that the OP described would be undrinkable.
I have a feeling it was just old beer pumped through dirty lines, or recently cleaned lines, thus the chlorine flavor.
Why would anyone add Grenadine to beer? Dirty cup?

As for the stella, when I eat heavy heavy foods I honestly can't tell difference between any light beers, as long as they aren't skunked or stale. Stella/Budlight/Corona included, lets be honest, no one orders those beers because they like the way they taste anyways.

On a side note I've been to places where i've ordered a Boston Lager and a friend has ordered the SA Octoberfest only to discover we received the exact same beer (once it was both octoberfest the other time it was old boston lager)

Never had a problem with BW3. When I lived in Cleveland they had a good selection of Great Lakes Brewing on tap (Including the famous Christmas Ale), and here in my local Vegas B-dubbs (way off the strip) they have New Belgium Brewing (Fat Tire and Ranger IPA) and Lagunitas IPA on draft at decent prices.

This is a hilarious thread in so many ways. Grenadine, water and beer. Really? As an aside I did get a bad bottle of Sam's O-fest recently. It tasted oxidized. I hate sending back beer because then I have to educate the waitress, manager, etc. and they still look at you like you're an idiot. Whatever..

B-dubs introduced me to wings many years ago. I still love the spicy garlic sauce, but don't go there very often due to location and price. They're expensive and I've enjoyed making wing sauce at home. The ones around here have a decent beer menu. I can usually find something I like. I guess I kind of stopped going there about three years ago when I found another place in K-zoo with better sauce and bigger wings. Alas, they've now went under(R.I.P. Cruiser's). Now if I've gotta have wings I just make them myself along with the beer that I make myself.

I honestly don't go into anywhere outside of a brewery or major beer bar (which we have VERY few of around here) and expect any kind of lineup or knowledge amongst the staff. The OP has to be a little more realistic. I mean, a chain bar in a college area, WTF do you expect? Make it at home FTW!!!

Yeah, F them. They took away the Weck. The Weck!!!!

Their "weck", if you can even call it that, blew. I recall the one, and only time, I ever ordered it. Cold roastbeef on a bun with lettuce and tomato. Uh....wrong!

Eh, to those wondering how I knew I got a Bud Lite or how I knew the exact proportions of the swill they gave me the last time: I don't. I put down my best guess for brevity's sake. When I ordered a Stella, they gave me some American light lager, possibly Bud or Coor's as those were on the menu. When I ordered Sam Adams, the cup contained the ingredients I described; I could taste Sam Adams, somewhat. I could also taste the chlorine from tap water, and the fact that it had been watered down significantly. And Grenadine has a distinctive taste, especially noticeable when dilluted a lot. That's all. It was pretty obvious.

Or, it could be that you had a negative opinnion of the place already, and that influenced what you thought you were tasting.

Do go to BWW. They have the best wings, the best sauces. Go boneless.

GET TAKEOUT. Why pay so much for mediocre beer? I bring it home and wash down their precious, precious wings with homebrew. :)

Oh, I do not want to be the person who vigorously defends their anecdotes over the internet. If you don't believe me, that's fine; it was pretty bizarre. I think we can at least agree that BWW is not a good place to get beer.

But let me note, in passing, that the bartender wouldn't necessarily have to mix each glass. They could just water down a keg. Also, they mostly cater to people with little taste in beer, who probably have had a few already. And even if someone does notice, not many people would care enough to make a scene. They'd just tip badly and leave. That's what I did at least.

Oh, I do not want to be the person who vigorously defends their anecdotes over the internet. If you don't believe me, that's fine; it was pretty bizarre. I think we can at least agree that BWW is not a good place to get beer.

No we can't. BWW is the best beer joint in town.

They always have a Rogue, a Two Brothers, and a Shlafly on tap.

Blasphemy. BW3 is great, and I've only had positive experiences there. I drink MillerLite when I'm there. It's cheap, most likely gets turned over a lot, and helps put the fire out when downing a pile of Spicy Garlic and Mango Habanero wings. Then, when I get home, it's back to homebrew. BW3 for dinner now, haha! Thanks for the idea!

There's one by my house. I refuse to go back:
- Always crowded with *****ers
- Mediocre food (we have half a dozen better wing places nearby)
- Terrible service
- Bad beer list
- Every TV is at a bad angle no matter where you sit. I don't know how they do it, but it's true.

It tends to be popular because it's one of the few places open until 2AM in the area, but eff that. I make my friends go to the Yardhouse or I stay home.

Got one here too, good wings, and the beer selection is decent! Love that mango habenero! Cute waitresses too.

That being said there are other places here that have wings just as good and better beer selection!

You go to BWW for the wings and hot sauce, not for the beer selection.

They have Guinness. That's all I need!

well I made it, pretty darn good, here is the sauce you dump the bake and friend wings into

c3154295-68b6-4840-9107-ea78972c6d62_568x424r0.jpg

The wife said they were good but our idea is too bake and fry then coat in this next time :)

d5641289-aef3-4d97-a77c-f0fd465ca923_568x424r0.jpg

Ahhhhhhhh.....went to B-Dubs tonight for dinner in honor of this thread. Thanks for the idea. Still LOVE it.

BWW is a mostly franchised chain; therefore your local one will vary a lot. (For some reason, only McDonalds has figured out the consistency thing.) Some franchise owners take their customers seriously and are into making happy guests who come back often.

Others are trading on the brand name in pursuit of the all-mighty-dollar. They cheap out on every thing, starting with the inital investment, and then scrimp on everything and look at every transaction as a win/loss at the moment. They end up not being successful long term and when the next Bennigans / Fridays / Applebees / BWW opens up, they lose all their customers.

If you think your local BWW does a great job, reward it with your dollars. If you think it's horrible, find another hangout. If it was bad enough then I would at least give the corporate office a call and explain your dissappointment. Personally, I don't go to places like that anymore, too many young, drunk idiots... God forbid if you are there at closing time...

BWW is a mostly franchised chain; therefore your local one will vary a lot. (For some reason, only McDonalds has figured out the consistency thing.) Some franchise owners take their customers seriously and are into making happy guests who come back often.

Others are trading on the brand name in pursuit of the all-mighty-dollar. They cheap out on every thing, starting with the inital investment, and then scrimp on everything and look at every transaction as a win/loss at the moment. They end up not being successful long term and when the next Bennigans / Fridays / Applebees / BWW opens up, they lose all their customers.

If you think your local BWW does a great job, reward it with your dollars. If you think it's horrible, find another hangout. If it was bad enough then I would at least give the corporate office a call and explain your dissappointment. Personally, I don't go to places like that anymore, too many young, drunk idiots... God forbid if you are there at closing time...

well, I am willing to try out local one about to open given the right price and beer selection. If it's all BMC, it's not worth in since I can given Stone IPA with good mexican food right down the street :)

well, I am willing to try out local one about to open given the right price and beer selection. If it's all BMC, it's not worth in since I can given Stone IPA with good mexican food right down the street :)

Flavors you must try:

Wild (second to hottest traditional buffalo flavor which is tied as my favorite with the next flavor posted)
Caribbean Jerk ( ties wild)
Mango Habenero (sweet meets spicy explodes in your grill!)

With all wings, you must order a basket of onion wings.

Flavors you must try:

Wild (second to hottest traditional buffalo flavor which is tied as my favorite with the next flavor posted)
Caribbean Jerk ( ties wild)
Mango Habenero (sweet meets spicy explodes in your grill!)

With all wings, you must order a basket of onion wings.

don't worry, I'll still go try it even if they only have BMC, I'll just being my own beer ;)

our b-dubs is great.

I never order wings there.. to much money for low quantity small wings and no sides..

.. i order the pulled pork with any sauce i want and onion rings for 7 bucks..

they have about 20-30 tap beers.. mostly all craft... i go there primarily for the New Belgium Hoptober that I can't get on tap anywhere else..

B-dubs rocks my socks!

I LIVE in SIDNEY!!! never been to the bww in TROY though. Gotta give em a try.

I work at the Tennessee plant of Advanced Composites. I gotta travel up to the Ohio plant every couple of months. They're over by the mama Rosa's pizza factory. We stay down in troy just because there is a beer joint (BWW) within staggering distance from the hotel.

The one in the nice part of town is good, the one on DIXIE Highway (imagine it if you can, but not so nice) SUCKS.

The beer selection at my local bdubs sucks. Sam Adams and Fat Tire are the best beers. And there's nothing wrong with those beers, but I'd like a few more options.

Personally, I really haven't been that big of a fan of bw3 since they went public. Prices have gone up, quality has gone down. Meh.

Old rule of thumb I have....if I don't trust the place then I won't order anything from the tap.

I came about this when the Missus informed me that of the last five times we'd dined out I'd sent a Guinness back every single one of them.

I'm not impressed with them. The food is good but $$$$$$$$ for what you get. They do have a good selection of different beers.

I have eaten in a BWW 1 time and ordered out from them 1 time. My wallet wept from the brutal raping and I have not ever taken it back there.

If a "social situation" was wanting me to go back I would at least suggest to try Hooters instead. The price is about the same and they have Hooters girls...

Since most people understand that "hot wings" will produce an effect I refer to as "monkey butt" I seriously hope the "social situation" was not on a date...

To the DIY chicken wing cooks/chefs Cajun Chef Louisiana hot sauce is about the best wing sauce straight from the bottle that I have found, if you can source some!

The couple I've been to around the country have all had a good selection of beers.

Wings are good? You have to try to make them bad.

The menu and food have never been good enough to compel me to return.

I find their service is kinda weak but they have a bigger tap selection than most generic chain restaurants. I'm not particularly fond of their food though.

Back