Fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratm4484

Reaction score
I brewed up a batch the other day and I usually pitch the yeast into the wort and let it sit for about 15 mins and then pour the wort in with the rest of the water. This time I forgot to pitch the yeast in my cooled wort. I added the yeast to the wort/water mix when I realized I forgot it. I made sure to airate everything but I haven't noticed much activity. It bubbled very very slowly for on and off for probably 3 to 5 hrs. The room was a about 4 degrees below the yeast recommendation so I moved it to the proper temp the next day hopeing to see more activity. I haven't seen any yet. Did I mess up when I forgot to add the yeast in the cooled wort before I mixed it?

If I am reading you right you do a partial boil of the wort, cool that, and then add the yeast before you add it to water to bring to the final volume. As long as the wort or wort/water is cooled I don't really see any difference as to when you add the yeast.

If the temp was 4 degrees below the recommended range for your yeast then it may take a day or two for your primary to warm up and the yeast kick back into gear. But everything should be fine, patience is the key (and the hard part)

If I understand you correctly, you bewed some quantity less than five gallons, poured it into your fermentation vessel with additional water to make the requisite amount, then pitched the yeast. If that is correct, that is a good general procedure, although there are a lot of details omitted. The yeast should have taken off within 30 hours and started fermenting.

Are you using a bucket to ferment in? If so, is the lid sealed really well? If it isn't, the C02 can escape somewhere besides out the airlock. Take a peak and see if you see any kraeusen or a kraeusen ring that indicates that fermentation already took place.

If that doesn't lead you to an answer, please gives us a more detailed description of the beer you were brewing, the ingredients used, the process you followed exactly, etc.

You got it right, that's what I did. I checked for the krausen ring but it doesn't exist. I am using a bucket and I am pretty sure it is air tight. Fermentation definately hasn't taken place, I misplaced my hydrometer so I can't measure the gravity, but since there is no ring and there is no smell of alcohol nothing has happened. I used english malt extract, with some crytal malts, and a chocolate malt. As for hops I used challenger and kent goldings. I used White labs British ale yeast. The og was roughly 1.050 when I was finished. Its been about 30 hrs now. How long should I wait before I do something, and what should that something be when the time arrives?

ratm4484 said:
Its been about 30 hrs now. How long should I wait before I do something, and what should that something be when the time arrives?
If it's not doing anything tomorrow, get some more yeast and pitch it.

-walker

still no luck today. I may just pitch some yeast again. Anyone know the best way to pitch the yeast the second time? I haven't had this problem before. Will I have to airate the wort again?

Just use your normal procedure without making a starter.

If using a Wyeast smack pack or White Labs vial, just follow their standard non-starter pitching instructions.

If using dry yeast, just follow John Palmer's yeast preparation instructions.

Back