Dark brown sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barf

Reaction score
I recently brewed a batch of brown ale that calls for a pound of dark brown sugar and which I had added and to find out that it actually called for a pound of terbenado sugar (Sugar in the raw).Does anyone think that I added a pound of regular dark brown sugar will ruin the batch or not???:mug:

It'll be different than the original recipe was meant to make, but it won't be ruined.

Turbinado is unrefined sugar.
When you refine it you get white "table" sugar and molasses.
When you mix molasses and white sugar together, you get brown sugar.

So... it's pretty close... just a little more of the brown impurities in it than turbinado would have.

Like walker said, it will be slightly different than the recipe but it will still be beer, and you might actually end up liking it more. Getting an ingredient wrong, won't automatically "ruin" beer. It will change it, but the great thing about this hobby is that even when we make are greatest screw up...99% of the time, we still end up with beer. :D

stop the car. if you don't centerfuge out the molasses, how does that have less impurities?

I am not sure I understand your question, but I think you are asking how turbinado has less impurities in it than brown sugar. If that's what you meant...

for the sake of simplicity, assume that turbinado consists of "X" parts white sugar and "Y" parts impurities (molasses).

Brown sugar is not a direct mix of X sugar + Y molasses. It is mixed disproportionately. I don't know specifics, but maybe it's X sugar + 2*Y molasses.

99% of the time, we still end up with beer. :D

I end up with beer 100% of the time.

Granted, I've had a few putrid, undrinkable batches, but they were still beer, by god!

The first time I end up with chick soup or something out of my fermenter, I am going to stop brewing.

Well I was just curious about the differences in regular dark brown sugar and turbinado, and now I know that things will be ok.

I am not sure I understand your question, but I think you are asking how turbinado has less impurities in it than brown sugar. If that's what you meant...

for the sake of simplicity, assume that turbinado consists of "X" parts white sugar and "Y" parts impurities (molasses).

Brown sugar is not a direct mix of X sugar + Y molasses. It is mixed disproportionately. I don't know specifics, but maybe it's X sugar + 2*Y molasses.

Basically what I was thinking. Even if blended to the original proportions don't know if you could expect to achieve the same flavor. But nothing that would ruin a beer.

Back