Does this look normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukabrazi

Reaction score
This is a True Brew Belgium Ale on day 6. I opened it to get a hydrometer reading. Does this look normal? I tasted it and it had a kind of burnt rubber taste.

From your pics I would say it looks normal. The ring of gunk around the edge was left by the krasuen, which is also normal.

I can't help too much with the flavor though. I have never experienced a taste of "burnt rubber". At only 6 days it is still very green, hopefully after you get it bottled and age a bit you will be happier with the flavor.

Looks alright to me.

What was the fermentation temp? What did you use for a sanitizer?

I used C-Brite sanitizer. My temp was between 62 and 64 degrees. I have to a reading yesterday and today and they were both 1.02. Tjis is higher than it should be. I tasted it again today and was careful to not let it set in the rubber part of the baster and it was just bitter with no rubber taste. I just racked a batch of wine into a carboy and I am going to soak the bucket over night and then rack my beer into tomorrow for a couple weeks. I had the greatest day by the way. Someone had a wedding and had left overs and brought me a case of beer and five 1.5 L bottles of wine. Forgive my typing.

Give it at least a few more weeks. It is still really green and may not be done fermenting.

This is a True Brew Belgium Ale on day 6. I opened it to get a hydrometer reading. Does this look normal? I tasted it and it had a kind of burnt rubber taste.

I had this happen to me. I bottled and let it sit for a few months... it tasted better. If it has stopped fermenting, I say bottle it up and let it sit.

Okay. My readings seem to have leveled out so I racked it into a secondary and will let it sit for a couple weeks. Thanks for the answers

Okay. My readings seem to have leveled out so I racked it into a secondary and will let it sit for a couple weeks. Thanks for the answers

I know this is a Belgian and everything, but it still needs to rest a while after fermentation is done to clear up a little even though there was probably not much flocculation if a Belgian yeast was used.

Ive been letting my belgian sit for two months now. will bottle mine soon. green beer is always gonna get better. even my friends gnarly skunked beer, which tasted like cardboard, got better (kinda drinkable) after a few weeks. aging is a magical thing

Back