Vanilla Bean tincture

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toasty27

Reaction score
So i'm new here, but have been reading threads for awhile. I've only made 4 batches of beer so far, so i'm still a beginner. I am going to make a 5 gallon batch of smoked vanilla porter. I have been reading different threads on this forum about adding vanilla beans to beer. I've read you can split the bean in half and dump it into the primary fermentation, or split the bean in half, scrape out the insides, soak it in vodka and put it into the secondary fermentation...I think i'd rather go with the tincture method, unless somebody thinks different...
My questions are, Does it matter what type of vodka is used?
How much vodka do i soak the beans in? And how long?
Do i add it to the primary or secondary? (i came across a thread where you guys were debating whether secondary fermentations are even necessary). Any help is appreciated!

So i'm new here, but have been reading threads for awhile. I've only made 4 batches of beer so far, so i'm still a beginner. I am going to make a 5 gallon batch of smoked vanilla porter. I have been reading different threads on this forum about adding vanilla beans to beer. I've read you can split the bean in half and dump it into the primary fermentation, or split the bean in half, scrape out the insides, soak it in vodka and put it into the secondary fermentation...I think i'd rather go with the tincture method, unless somebody thinks different...
My questions are, Does it matter what type of vodka is used?

Yes, you want the cleanest, most flavor absent vodka you can find. I use Skyy vodka to make my extract, and it adds NOTHING to it. Which is exactly what I want.

How much vodka do i soak the beans in? And how long?
Enough to cover. How long can vary. It should be fine at anything from a day to a few weeks. After that, you're really starting to make vanilla extract.

Do i add it to the primary or secondary? (i came across a thread where you guys were debating whether secondary fermentations are even necessary). Any help is appreciated!
You can add it to primary. No harm will befall your brew if you do. :D

You can also simply make vanilla extract and add the results of that to the batch. I made some at the start of the year, and bottled it about two months ago. Came out great. I have another batch going (with almost all of the beans I had left) which is going to go until about February-May before I bottle that up. About 2oz of beans/pods split and scraped per pint mason jar, which is then filled with vodka is good. Use high quality beans though. I picked premium Madagascar-Bourbon vanilla beans to use. On Amazon, they're NOT expensive. You'd probably need to sell a child if you purchased them from the grocery store. :eek:

Any clean vodka is fine. The higher the gravity, the more it will extract the vanilla flavor.

Vodka will extract more flavor than the beer due to the higher alcohol.

Add to secondary, or the primary after the main ferment is over. Add vodka and beans. Or just add the tincture to the bottling bucket.

I have 5 beans chopped, scraped currently sitting in a couple of ounces of vodka waiting for a beer. Might sit there for a few months.

Lol, not about where I got it, I can get it at the liquor store, just wondered if the higher proof would extract more flavor or impart the alchohol in the beer.

Lol, not about where I got it, I can get it at the liquor store, just wondered if the higher proof would extract more flavor or impart the alchohol in the beer.

Pretty sure that you'll see zero difference from 80 proof and anything above that. IMO, you're just using something far too hot to be good.

I know things are different in FL, but I've never seen anything 190 proof on shelves. There's a reason why it's not there, that sh*t's DANGEROUS to drink.

Thats the answer I was looking for, thanks. I read a few post up that the higher the gravity was the more vanilla would be extracted, I just didn't know what the max was.

And yes, 95% abv alchohol is not meant for straight consumption, but it is sold in liquor stores around here. It's called Everclear. They have two percentages available 75 1/2% and 95%

Edit: it has a big red warning label on it lol

I use Everclear to do tinctures, and it works well. Be aware however, that a seemingly small quantity of Everclear can add a significant percentage of alcohol to a brew. 20 liters of 5% ABV beer has 1 liter of pure alcohol in it, so if you add 250 ml of tincture you are kicking the alcohol up to 6.1% (if my highschool math serves me correctly)

When you make a tincture, you soak whatever herb or seeds you are using in a neutral vodka until the vodka has absorbed or extracted the flavorings (usually a few weeks). Then you pour the liquid into another container and toss away the herbs. Then you can add the tincture to your beer in the bottling bucket, adding a little at a time until you get the right flavor you are looking for.

You can also just let the beer rest in secondary for a couple weeks on whole beans. No need to make the tincture if you don't want.

Back