Insulated storage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron1guz

Reaction score
I am going to building a storage "shed" that runs the length of my garage on the side of my house. Think of it as a 20 to 25 foot long by 3 foot deep storage shed. I would like to build an insulated portion of the shed for long term storage/aging of kegs and two barrels. I am in Portland, OR - not too cold, not too hot. How much insulation will I need? Any ideas on how to do this?

I am going to building a storage "shed" that runs the length of my garage on the side of my house. Think of it as a 20 to 25 foot long by 3 foot deep storage shed. I would like to build an insulated portion of the shed for long term storage/aging of kegs and two barrels. I am in Portland, OR - not too cold, not too hot. How much insulation will I need? Any ideas on how to do this?

R-11 should suffice.

Just remember, even if you insulate and don't have some type of supplemental heating and/or cooling, the temperature in there will flucuate with ambient. On really hot days it's gonna get hot in there, on really cold days it's going to freeze.

Inside wall? outside? Garage heated/cooled?

My cold room is part of my old garage & has R-11 for the inside walls, R-40 ceiling and will have R-30 for the outside wall. I also have a 5000 BTU A/C unit.

It is going to be "Outside". I like to avoid a heating/cooling unit in it if possible. I will not be opened that often - only to move things around, so I am not worried about that part.

It is going to be "Outside". I like to avoid a heating/cooling unit in it if possible. I will not be opened that often - only to move things around, so I am not worried about that part.

it's not a matter of opening it too often, it is just that insulation will only delay the equalization of temperature, not prevent it. You will still have temp swing inside. If you don't have some sort of climate control for the building, it will get hot on hot days and cold on cold days. look into a cheap swamp cooler or evaporation a/c (do a google search, you can find them for $90 - $400). they are portable and should be able to keep a relatively constant temp for you as long as the space is not HUGE. They are not the most efficient a/c units, but if you are not opening the door often, they should be more than sufficient. get one with a digital temp setting for ease of control.

Latest posts

Back