Corn in mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mastersudconsumer

Reaction score
As anyone ever used sweet corn in their mash? I have seen whiskey techniques but not brew mash. Do I dry and mill like the grain?

I think you would need to cook it prior to adding. Likely could use it dry or fresh. Also would need to be crushed to expose the starches, even the human body can't process whole kernel corn :)

Flaked corn is a common ingredient in English Best Bitters, which is dried and milled corn kernels. This isn't the same thing as dried and milled corn though. High Gravity says this about it.

dyqik said:
Flaked corn is a common ingredient in English Best Bitters, which is dried and milled corn kernels. This isn't the same thing as dried and milled corn though. High Gravity says this about it.
Ty, I'm wondering if the cor reduces the malt flavor will that pronounce the hops

Fresh sweet corn is loaded with sugars.
Since most seeds cannot store sugar for later germination the next season, those sugars are converted into starch as the corn kernels dry.

Got to get to the sugars as soon as possible (just at the peak of sweetness) and immediately after picking. 50% of the sugars will be converted to starch within 24 hours.

Pick it, shuck it and strip the kernels within a few hours and grind. Use the juice in your mash before the sugars become starch (cooking it stops the enzymes from converting the sugar to starch).

On a dairy farm we made silage from fresh corn and over the winter you could get a buzz just from being in the silo too long. As the juicer came out of the chopper my uncle would always save a few gallons for later use..:eek:

bosco

Back