1st time missing OG..can I fix

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speeddemon190

Reaction score
So i just brewed up a batch of summer shandy yesterday for the fiance and my mom. after I topped it off and took my OG reading i realized that it topped it off with too much spring water and my reading was 1.040 at 70* which means a reading of 1.041 (per brewers friend app). the goal was a starting gravity of 1.055. its only been in the fermenter for 1 day. is there an easy way to boost my gravity back up to what it needs to be? maybe boil some water with a measured amount of sugar let cool and add to the fermentor? or should I just let it ride and be more careful next time?

Straight sugar, in the amount you'd need to get an extra 14 points in your 1.040 beer, will probably leave you with a very thin, dry and maybe slightly boozy beer.

You could whip up a half-gallon of very syrupy "wort" from extract, maybe even throw some hops in, since you'll be under-hopped after adding extra water and extra fermentables.

speeddemon190 said:
So i just brewed up a batch of summer shandy yesterday for the fiance and my mom. after I topped it off and took my OG reading i realized that it topped it off with too much spring water and my reading was 1.040 at 70* which means a reading of 1.041 (per brewers friend app). the goal was a starting gravity of 1.055. its only been in the fermenter for 1 day. is there an easy way to boost my gravity back up to what it needs to be? maybe boil some water with a measured amount of sugar let cool and add to the fermentor? or should I just let it ride and be more careful next time?

I'd say let it ride. Next time, you can use DME or LME prior to fermentation to correct your OG. Just chalk this one up as a learning experience for your next brew. It'll have less alcohol then intended, but who knows, it may be better than what you originally had planned. Keep us posted.

It would take 1.5 lbs of sugar in 5 gallons to get 14 points. That isn't an excessive amount of sugar.

However, I think your gravity measurement was wrong. If it wasn't an all-grain or full boil (which it wasn't), it was likely not mixed well enough. You would have had to dilute a 5 gallon batch of 1.055 to 7 gallons to get 1.040.

Just let it ride

dgr said:
It would take 1.5 lbs of sugar in 5 gallons to get 14 points. That isn't an excessive amount of sugar.

However, I think your gravity measurement was wrong. If it wasn't an all-grain or full boil (which it wasn't), it was likely not mixed well enough. You would have had to dilute a 5 gallon batch of 1.055 to 7 gallons to get 1.040.

Just let it ride

The only issue with that amount of sugar in a 1.040 OG beer is that you run the risk of having a very thin body with a cidery flavor.

Good advice on mixing the batch. I totally forgot about. It's been a while since my extract days!

yeah i forgot to mix well, so im going to let it ride and see what happens....oh well beer is beer...im sure it will turn out... if the fiance doesnt like it I have 2 cases of american light 2 cases of wheat 2 cases of pumpkin spice that will be ready before the summer shandy...thanks for all the advice

speeddemon190 said:
yeah i forgot to mix well, so im going to let it ride and see what happens....oh well beer is beer...im sure it will turn out... if the fiance doesnt like it I have 2 cases of american light 2 cases of wheat 2 cases of pumpkin spice that will be ready before the summer shandy...thanks for all the advice

If you forgot to mix, then you probably have an OG closer to what you're expecting. An unmixed wort with extract will just give you a false reading on the hydrometer which could be the cause here so everything might be alright after all.

The only issue with that amount of sugar in a 1.040 OG beer is that you run the risk of having a very thin body with a cidery flavor.

Good advice on mixing the batch. I totally forgot about. It's been a while since my extract days!
Good point. I was thinking an .055 beer.

Latest posts

Back