Fining and clearing your brew: Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TalesSpin

Reaction score
Is it recommended to include this procedure for all brews, or only those of which the protein content may be of concern?

I ask because it appears my 2nd batch of beer (a honey ale, no not the president's...) seems to be settling out some proteins from the honey in the bottles. I'm fine with the settling in the bottles, as long as it settles and doesn't pour out. The brewing book I have is kind of old and doesn't really get into the purpose and procedure of fining, when to or when not to do it.

Not sure what procedure you are talking about. But I use a whirfloc tablets 1/2 to 1 with 5 to 10 minutes left in boil. I also like to cold crash for a few days after fermentation and then bottle.

I have had no problems with haze in my beers. I use Irish Moss in the last 15 minutes of the boil then chill the bottles for about 2 weeks.

Latest posts

Back