Need some input for a Smokey Rye Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawle102

Reaction score
Just looking for some input regarding the grain bill on this recipe. Not sure if I'm using enough Smoked malt to get the smoke flavor. I am not looking for a terribly intense flavor, just something to add a new flavor I guess.

I would also appreciate some input as to what hops I should use. I have Cascade, Aramis, Columbus, Summit and Chinook on hand.

On to the grain bill.

10 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 64.5 %
3 lbs Rye Malt (4.7 SRM) Grain 2 19.4 %
2 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3 12.9 %
8.0 oz Smoked Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 4 3.2 %

For the hops, I was thinking maybe 1 OZ of chinook or summit at 60Min then 2 OZ of Aramis at 5 then another 2 OZ of Aramis at flameout. I am looking for a decent hop flavor without overpower the smoked malt. I am not sure how loading up on hops at the end will affect the smoke flavor. I can up the smoked malt to a full pound if that would help balance the hop flavor.

I've used 15% smoked malt on a porter once and it came out great. Some said it was a little too smokey, but I really enjoyed it. I can't help you much on the hops though, but I can tell you that with my porter, the smoked malt was the dominant flavor and aroma.

I make a rye IPA with some smoke character. I use 4oz/5gal peat smoked malt for just a touch of smokey flavor. It is definitely detectable, but not overwhelming. Smoke flavor is always up to the brewer though... some like a little, some like a lot. Guess you'll just have to experiment. In short... go for it!

Thanks everyone. I will probably stick to this grain bill for now and hope for the best.

The hops will be a shot from the hip:)

Back