MyPin TA4-SNR for fermentation temperature control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

It depends on which temperature probe you buy to go with it. When you see them on eBay, they often have cheap probes with them. My cal lab didn't think much of the probes...

You might consider a STC-1000. Comes with a probe, does heat and cool, runs about $25 delivered via eBay.

Bob

My STC-1000 from eBay doesn't work. 0 volts on the cooling circuit.

I was hoping to use the probe from the STC-1000 on this controller.

Hi

The STC-1000 is a relay (contact) output device. It does not source current / voltage on the control circuit. It uses a 10K ohm NTC thermistor. That's not going to work with the MyPin.

What are you trying to do with the control output on the STC? They will switch 15A at 110V, so there's not a lot of need for an external relay.

Bob

A small (5^ft?) freezer.

Ahhh... I think I see now how to wire up the STC. Well, I guess I've got an extra controller. Maybe I'll use the MyPin on my kegerator. I have an analog controller on that right now.

Hi

The STC will run just about anything you can plug into a normal 110V outlet.

My favorite way to put them in is to rip out the original thermostat and route the two live wires that used to go to it to the STC. There's also probably a green ground wire on the original thermostat that is not used (unfortunately) with the STC. The contacts you want are the "cool" ones (get distracted half way through a job and there are all sorts of interesting mistakes you can make :drunk:).

Bob

Thanks Bob! I got the STC wired correctly and the freezer is chilling right now. A week too late for my latest brew, but I'll use it next time.

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but what did you actually hook the STC to. I am also looking at one for a brewing project and I want to know if it will work.

Back