Who uses at 0.5 micron diffuser stone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekjohns

Reaction score
Looking to get a diffuser stone and would like to get a 0.5 over a 2 micron stone to go with my oxygen tank. For those of you who have a 0.5 micron stone how do you like it? Looking back Would you recommend it over a 2 micron? Any problems with clogging and how did you fix it?

I have not had a problem with mine, but I do not touch it with bare hands either. Apparently, the oils from your hands can clog the pores. When I add O2 to my wort, I can see the bubbles coming out of the stone but they must be diffusing well, because they do not even make it to the surface. I highly recommend the .5 micron stone.

I like mine a lot.
It will dissolve more oxygen faster into wort than the 2 micron.
Only issue is it is easy to clog because the pores are so small.
Try not to handle it with bare hands.
If you do clog the stone you can submerge it in hot water while pumping air or oxygen through to unclog.
I've found that compressed air works the best.

have either of you ever clogged the stone? If so how easy was it to get unclogged? I plan to never touch the stone (morebeer has both the 2 and 0.5 micron stone on a wand) and boil to sanitize. Then I will start the 02 right before I submerge it into the wort. After I am done I will pull it out and wash it off with some water while the 02 is still on. It will then be stored in a tube of 70% ethanol till next use.

[...]It will then be stored in a tube of 70% ethanol till next use.

Unnecessary, as long as you're going to be boiling it before the next use. After rinsing it, just put it in something that air can get to it (ie: not a sealed package) and let it dry on its own...

Cheers!

I have the 2 micron and just rinse it off let it air dry. Before I use it I boil it it in water for 20 min. No problems yet.

Back