New here - need some help with a sanke keg!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theimp

Reaction score
Hey all,

New to the forum, been using it for info for quite some time though.

I am about 1 step away from getting my first batch of beer into a kegerator and I have a problem :(

My keg has an air leak on the outside edge of the valve on the spear/whatever you call it.

Anything I can do? other than start looking for a replacement spear.

And if the answer is no, could someone please suggest where to buy (north america/canada would be best)

Thanks in advance looking forward to posting here :mug:

Here is an image I used to show where the leak is happening:

2oE26.jpg

Welcome!

I'm going to assume you're using a ball lock keg. If so, I think the area that you're describing is the valve on the top of the post. Leaks can happen there when the poppet is old and the seal around it gets compressed. You can just replace the poppet. Replacements are available either at your LHBS or most online retailers. Here's the parts page at Northern Brewer:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/kegging/soda-kegs-fittings

There are three different types of ball lock posts. You should be able to visually match up what you have to the type on that page.

A thought just occurred to me: Does your post leak when the connection is attached, not attached, or both? And is it gas side or liquid side?

If it's gas side and leaks when the connector is off, it's probably a poppet. If leaks only when the connector is on, it's probably the rubber O-ring on the outside (i just had to replace one myself). If gas is leaking from the liquid side, it's likely the O-ring on the dip tube underneath the post.

The O-rings are so cheap that you should consider replacing them all. If you don't want to do the whole keg, at least consider doing them on the post that is leaking. They're also available in most LHBS and online.

Well look at that! I guess it does.

Regardless, I'm going to continue to assume that the OP is talking about a ball lock. ;)

Welcome!

I'm going to assume you're using a ball lock keg. If so, I think the area that you're describing is the valve on the top of the post. Leaks can happen there when the poppet is old and the seal around it gets compressed. You can just replace the poppet. Replacements are available either at your LHBS or most online retailers. Here's the parts page at Northern Brewer:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/kegging/soda-kegs-fittings

There are three different types of ball lock posts. You should be able to visually match up what you have to the type on that page.

A thought just occurred to me: Does your post leak when the connection is attached, not attached, or both? And is it gas side or liquid side?

If it's gas side and leaks when the connector is off, it's probably a poppet. If leaks only when the connector is on, it's probably the rubber O-ring on the outside (i just had to replace one myself). If gas is leaking from the liquid side, it's likely the O-ring on the dip tube underneath the post.

The O-rings are so cheap that you should consider replacing them all. If you don't want to do the whole keg, at least consider doing them on the post that is leaking. They're also available in most LHBS and online.

Thanks for the information, but it isn't a ball lock, it is a sanke keg with the spear inside. I will try to post some pics of where it is leaking.

Not a ball lock keg. But thanks for trying to help!

I will try posting some pics of where the leak is happenening.

2oE26.jpg

This is where the leak is happening. So is there any soloution? Or, if anyone knows where to buy these spears from that would be good aswell. Shipping to Canada or in Canada would be great. Don't mind buying a brand new spear for it.

Thanks again

Does it leak with a sanke coupler attached? If your carbing it with co2 in the fridge and it doesn't leak with the Coupler attached I wouldn't worry about it.

It's most likely the o-ring underneath the valve seat. Take the spear out, and take a look at the o-rings. Replace any that look old, dried out, deformed, etc. Apply a little keg lube to the rubber parts, and re-assemble. It's unlikely that the spear/valve assembly itself is bad. If you do need a new spear, post a want ad in the classifieds here. There are lot's of brewers who have spears laying around from the keggles they made, and someone would probably send you one for the cost of shipping.

Does it leak with a sanke coupler attached? If your carbing it with co2 in the fridge and it doesn't leak with the Coupler attached I wouldn't worry about it.

Yes I'm afraid it does which is the problem.

Done a pressure test yesterday, filled the empty keg with 10psi and let it sit overnight. Returned this morning to 0psi showing on my regulator.

I pulled the coupler off and it was wet (co2 moisture)

So, I put a bit more air into the keg, splashed some water around the top and sure enough it was bubbling. Same place I have pictured.

The coupler is fine I put a bit of pressure into it while not connected to the keg and it has held pressure for about 8 hours.

I checked everywhere else while it was all connected aswell and no signs of any other leaks. Just the keg seal.

So, I either need a fix, or a new spear for it.

(or another sanke :p )

It's most likely the o-ring underneath the valve seat. Take the spear out, and take a look at the o-rings. Replace any that look old, dried out, deformed, etc. Apply a little keg lube to the rubber parts, and re-assemble. It's unlikely that the spear/valve assembly itself is bad. If you do need a new spear, post a want ad in the classifieds here. There are lot's of brewers who have spears laying around from the keggles they made, and someone would probably send you one for the cost of shipping.

It could be! going to try your idea next and remove the spear and check everything over.

Thanks for the wanted section tip, will do that soon if I can't fix this one.

Ok,

I'm pretty sure this can't be repaired, was looking at some tutorials on how to take a spear apart and the ball valve can't be repaired from what I could see. So hopefully I can get my hands on a new spear.

Thanks for all the help :)

Back