OK to raise ale temp after fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeque

Reaction score
I know that it is important to ferment ales below 70 degrees but after my ale has fermented for a week can I move it out of my temperature controlled fermentation chamber and into the house that is about 70-75 degrees to finish clearing so that I can use my ferm chamber for a new batch? In the cool months this is not an issue but the heat is on already here in central CA.

You could but I wouldnt. Just raise the temp to no more than 72 for a few days then let it back down. Would be best if you did it when you were 90% done with the primary.

I've done it for many batches with no problem. As long as the first 5-6 days are under 70, it doesn't seem to negatively affect the flavor if they get warmer after that.

Move it out and get more beer going. I regularly move batches out of my igloo cooler fermentation chamber after 7-10 days. My house stays 80-82 during the summer and it's never affected it, atleast not that I can tell.

I never had any problem doing this either. These were beers in the 1.05x range and they were pretty much done after a week anyway. I figured the temp bump just made the yeast in the secondary clean up faster.

Latest posts

Back