All about beer - Total history and process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fracturedman

Reaction score
I am curious to know if there is any book or website that explains every aspect of beer. A history of the first beer ever drank to now? My mind is currently flooded with beer knowledge that I am trying to organize. But I want to know more, when it comes to reading I hate it, but when it involves reading about beer I cannot get enough.

I have multiple books in PDF but they don't go into the history, however one is from 1908. One is all about every aspect of the brewing practice today, over 1000pages.

I have multiple books in PDF but they don't go into the history, however one is from 1908. One is all about every aspect of the brewing practice today, over 1000pages.

Post them up please! Or let us know where you got them from. I could really use the information.

Brewing is almost certainly prehistoric. Therefore there's no account of the first beer ever made. The problem with what you're asking is that it's far too broad, and not going to be contained in any one book- or any six, for that matter. If you just want a general history of beer, I suggest you do a search on Amazon, and read the reviews. Personally, although I've got some books on homebrewing, I've never read a general history of beer, and if you find a good one, post a review on this forum, please. As for a lot of the rest of published material on beer, it's going to be far too technical for the homebrewer, and, I suspect, for you.

Brewing is almost certainly prehistoric. Therefore there's no account of the first beer ever made.

I know I've heard that the earliest found written recipe for anything is for beer. This could be a fallacy much like the oft misquoted Ben Franklin quote we see here from time to time, but yeah..it goes way back.

I've taken some classes at a local restaurant on the history of beer and I think you might want to start a search for Bavarian and German brewing history. The Reinheitsgebot was from 1506 so that's a good starting point. I believe the monks of Bavaria were putting together much of the notes on brewing prior to that.

Rico is right there are so many tacks you can take...there are excellent histories of certain styles of beers, like Belgians beers for instance.

Then there are histories of the brewing of certain countries....

One of the best on the history of brewing in America is;

5194HaN2BoL.jpg

Her website and beer blog are great reads.

http://www.ambitiousbrew.com/index2.htm

She gives a great interview on the history and her book on basic brewing;

Listen to this from Basic Brewing;

November 30, 2006 - Ambitious Brew Part One
We learn about the history of beer in the USA from Maureen Ogle, author of "Ambitious Brew - The Story of American Beer." Part one takes us from the Pilgrims to Prohibition.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr11-30-06.mp3

December 7, 2006 - Ambitious Brew Part Two
We continue our discussion about the history of beer in the USA with Maureen Ogle, author of "Ambitious Brew - The Story of American Beer." Part two takes us from Prohibition to the present day.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr12-07-06.mp3

And here's a great history of brewing in Canada, it is an online book, which is really cool.

Brewed in Canada: The Untold Story ... - Google Books

Latest posts

Back